4 replies to this topic

#1 miniphil30

miniphil30

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hello all, I've just saved a 97 Mini Cooper from a previous owner and basically they have gone over a speed bump too fast. The exhaust has a large rip init at the bottom of the down pipe. My question is - can I unclamp the whole exhaust just after the manifold like on my old 82 Mayfair or is it all one piece from the manifold? Taking the manifold off looks like a real pain!
Cheers
Phil

#2 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

at the bottom of the downpipe should be a "flexi joint", are you sure its not this that you have ripped? you can take it of from where this meets the downpipe in one go i think, and then it can be split down further at the cat, if it isnt the flexi joint, im not sure about the downpipe, but if you do have to take it out somehow. dont forget to watch out for the sensors!

Edited by The_Mistro, 29 March 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#3 miniphil30

miniphil30

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

[quote name='The_Mistro' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:10 PM' post='1401565']
at the bottom of the downpipe should be a "flexi joint", are you sure its not this that you have ripped?

Yes it is the flexi joint. I've not run the car yet and bought it as a none runner. Well it does start and run.
I'm thinking of getting a full stainless made and just wanted to check if I have to take the manifold off or can just run it from the downpipe connection. Someone I know makes stainless exhausts so will probalby take it off and give it to him to copy.
I've not really looked at the car much yet as I've been working on a 1982 mini Mayfair.

#4 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Well the exhaust is made of seperate sections so in theory, can be unclamped and seperated into its component parts. However in reality, years of cooling and heating as well and rust and overtightened clamps in alot of cases pretty much weld the exhaust system together.

Try it and see really but i suspect you may end up removing the whole system.

#5 richardrichards

richardrichards

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

I had exactly the same problem years ago, Dave at min-its sold me a conversion pipe from maniflow (i think) that bolts to the standard manifold and comes down to the joint at the front floor, any after market exhaust can then be fitted to this.
I fitted a 2 box maniflow system straight to this and ditched the cat, i already had this exhaust so was the cheapest available, i then had a lovely sounding exhaust note and a noticeable gain in power.
This conversion pipe bolts on after the lambda sensor so no need to mess with wiring at all and it affectivley turns the standard manifold into an LCB all for about 50 beer tokens :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users