#1 sean1380

sean1380

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local Club: kendal mini club

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

just wondered if there was a law or any regulations on driving without a bonnet???
i know that u can get pulled by the fuzz for dangerous exposed metal might this apply??
just a thought

#2 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

yes i imagine it would, also it'd look silly.

#3 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

just wondered if there was a law or any regulations on driving without a bonnet???
i know that u can get pulled by the fuzz for dangerous exposed metal might this apply??
just a thought

why would you want to drive without a bonnet?

if you want to show ur engine bay off, you could always get a perspex bonnet made i expect.

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

Yes this would be illegal. Not just for sharp edges but also for exposed belts and moving engine components.

#5 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

just a thought

if you want to show ur engine bay off, you could always get a perspex bonnet made i expect.

I'm sure its perspex that over time gets affected by heat and goes milky white ... bummer..

#6 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I've seen it done in photography shoots of retro cars in magazines, but yeah I guess it's just common sense you're gonna get pulled!

& it'd massively increase airflow, only benefit.

#7 MGMT

MGMT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

what about a glass bonnet haha, would do well in a crash

#8 Blue Icarian Wings

Blue Icarian Wings

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

Take the skin off, and put chicken wire over the frame, technically it's still a bonnet (add matt black paint and other MadMax bits to flavour)

#9 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

just a thought

I'm sure its perspex that over time gets affected by heat and goes milky white ... bummer..

ok, well, i was only trying to help... i know there is some plastic that you can mold for a bonnet, they used it on the new corvette...

#10 sean1380

sean1380

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local Club: kendal mini club

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

just im also into the veedub scene and theres a thing with those with driving around with no bonnet to aid cooling and show your engine bay off so it got me thinking.
might it not just be the same as drivin with no grill as thats exposed sharp edges etc??

think it looks pretty cool beeing able too see all the parts esp if its a nice looking bay

might get a old bonnet and use the skin and chicken wire tho n see how it looks abit 'rat look'

#11 Ru55boy

Ru55boy

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

You've got to think about the probability of increased injury if you hit someone, imagine if a child ran out in front of you, would be bad enough but if you had no bonnet....

BUT, I do like the chicken wire idea. Might try that myself when I go camoflage in a couple of weeks.

#12 analogue_radio

analogue_radio

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Post some pictures up when you've done it Sean!

#13 liirge

liirge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,097 posts
  • Local Club: EDMC AND MMC

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hold on...
The old fiat 500 Abarth had the engine exposed at the back, you couldnt close the boot. And that is perfectly legal, so how does that work?

Edited by liirge, 08 April 2009 - 12:17 PM.

#14 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:18 PM

& it'd massively increase airflow, only benefit.

Not really, due to turbulence you'd have mostly the same air recirculating. And probably end up with a low pressue area round your intake.

ok, well, i was only trying to help... i know there is some plastic that you can mold for a bonnet, they used it on the new corvette...

Polycarbonate probably, though that discolours eventually, (it's what's used for motorcycle visors).

just im also into the veedub scene and theres a thing with those with driving around with no bonnet to aid cooling and show your engine bay off so it got me thinking.

VW's have the engine's in the back, less likely to have someone fall in there when you drive front on into them!
Like leaving your bootlid off on your mini.

Dave

#15 Big Man

Big Man

Put your trousers on---You're Nicked!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

Dangerous Use and Condition The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two of the Regulations are concerned with the use (and where a person causes or permits the use) of motor vehicles in a dangerous condition.

Regulation 100 is aimed at preventing the use of motor vehicles and trailers which:

have body parts that have deteriorated to such an extent as to be dangerous to pedestrians and cyclists etc.;
are in a poor mechanical condition;
are carrying too many passengers or are carrying them in such a way as to cause danger;
have insecure loads or the load is carried in such a way as to cause danger;
are incorrectly attached together;
are being used for a purpose so unsuitable as to cause danger or a nuisance.

Also

Dangerous Driving

Section 2A of the Act states:

A person is to be regarded as driving dangerously:
where:
the way they drive falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, or
driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous,
including the state of anything attached or carried on it, or the manner in which it was attached or carried, and
it would be obvious to such a driver that driving in the way would be dangerous,

Yep reckon you could be nicked but not cut and dry........

Cheers

BM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users