Photo
- - - - -

How To Spot A Mk3 (Oct '69- '76) Mini Saloon Shell.

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#16 freaker

freaker

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: mini fun club belguim

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

if you need the fuel brackets, ive got them spare, you can have them for a bargain ;)

freaker

#17 Blue Icarian Wings

Blue Icarian Wings

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

I had a 1974 Mini without the hole in the rear seat or ashtrays in the storage bins.

Ditto, mine was first registered in August 1973

#18 CMcB

CMcB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

Gaydon has heritage certificates, they might be able to help

#19 cagy

cagy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

I got a 1275 gt from sumtime in the 70's pre 73 for sure and i have the hole and the 500 ashtrays that are useless!! lol

Craig

#20 tedmcedd

tedmcedd

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

wish mine still had its original shell.... :w00t:

#21 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

I got a 1275 gt from sumtime in the 70's pre 73 for sure and i have the hole and the 500 ashtrays that are useless!! lol

Craig

I like the rear bin ashtrays, I've just got to find the ashtrays themselves for my car.

#22 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

wish mine still had its original shell.... :w00t:

Bad luck, at least it's a classic looking colour!

Edited by Prawn, 28 April 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#23 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

That's the main problem, it's so easy to pass off a car that's been re-shelled. There's nothing better than knowing your car is perfectly legal and just as it should be :w00t:

#24 scrog

scrog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

That's the main problem, it's so easy to pass off a car that's been re-shelled. There's nothing better than knowing your car is perfectly legal and just as it should be :w00t:

you go on alot about pre 76 shells
76 are not tax exempt so the year of the shell is not really relavent and you can by law and legaly reshell a mini
and keep the same reg
what you cant do is change engine and suspention and chassie (subs to me and you) as well

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

so think before you accuse people of ringing cars

but i agee there are a lot of ringers out there

#25 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hang on a minute, I'm not accusing anyone of ringing. My only reason for 'going on' as you put it about 1976 shells is that if you are buying a supposedly tax exempt Mini and it has 1976-on features such as rubber mounted subframe, you should be highly suspicious of a re-shell.

A re-shell is definately not legal UNLESS the shell is a brand new BMH item. Unless you have definate proof of this, ie a receipt and no stamped number in the scuttle, you have a bitsa car which, by law is not entitled to tax-exempt (pre 1973) status and will be put on a 'Q' plate if investigated.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay top dollar for a nice pre-73 Mk3, only to get a VOSA inspection and have the chassis number in the scuttle relate back to a 1980's Mayfair/ City for example?
Best case scenario would be a 'Q' plate as mentioned above, worst case the car could be removed from you if there is anyhting suspicious going on (eg if an insurance company has paid out a claim on the 'new' shell's number..)

This guide is there to protect people and give them some hints as what to look out for.

#26 MrMini

MrMini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

I have a MK3 that was made in 1974/5 but is registered as an old P, therefore was sold one year later and hence i still pay tax. Can i arguee that the car was made a year before reistered and get the tax-free status? Mine has all the points mentioned except the rear ashtrays in the bins and hole in rear seat? It is worth mentioning that my model was an auto.

Edited by MrMini, 27 April 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#27 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

From the DVLA Website-

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts
In order to retain the original registration mark:

cars and car-derived vans must use:
The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated.

It's also worked out on a points scoring basis-

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point

So even if you had original suspension, axles, transmission, engine and steering (which add up to 9) you still are not allowed to keep the original registration if the bodyshell is not original or newly-bought.

http://direct.gov.uk...cle/DG_10014246

#28 Boycie

Boycie

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

I have a MK3 that was made in 1974/5 but is registered as an old P, therefore was sold one year later and hence i still pay tax. Can i arguee that the car was made a year before reistered and get the tax-free status? Mine has all the points mentioned except the rear ashtrays in the bins and hole in rear seat? It is worth mentioning that my model was an auto.

You could try MrMini but I doubt it would have sat around for over a year before being registered. Tax exempt status is currently for pre-1973 cars remember.

It's possible of course.
The problem you would have is proving so.

A heritage certificate is great and absolute proof but I don't think you can get one for cars made after around 1969. Finding a build date from the chassis or commision number would be great, but I'm not sure if you can get the information out of them!

Edited by Boycie, 27 April 2009 - 02:28 PM.

#29 scrog

scrog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

From the DVLA Website-

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new or used parts
In order to retain the original registration mark:

cars and car-derived vans must use:

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated.

It's also worked out on a points scoring basis-

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point

So even if you had original suspension, axles, transmission, engine and steering (which add up to 9) you still are not allowed to keep the original registration if the bodyshell is not original or newly-bought.

http://direct.gov.uk...cle/DG_10014246

well i stand corrected never saw or knew that bit bout the secondhand shell

that puts a different light on things

#30 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

mine is the real thing :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic