6 replies to this topic

#1 Rhillbmx

Rhillbmx

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

I have a 1987 Mayfair with a 1.3 spi Engine. I have a SPI K&N airfilter which was put on the car before i brought it and the car appears to be holding back when i accelerate - I get beaten by 1.1 Peugeot.

I was told that this could be down to the airfilter sucking in way to much air and it would be a lot better for me to get a standard injection air filter.

I have checked to see if i have an air leak but have found nothing, so im a little stuck if this is not the case.

Any help would be appropriated.

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

Because your car is fuel injected it will re-tune itself to cope with the extra flow of the air filter automatically. What do you mean by holding back exactly? Has it been more responsive in the past than it is now?

#3 Rhillbmx

Rhillbmx

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

I have only had the car for 1 month and it has always been like it. When i accelerate it goes it accelerate really quickly then it will hole back just like if the spark plugs need changing but they have only just been changed.

its mainly when i put my foot right to the floor it holds back loads.

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Have you had the fault codes read? When the injection engine was added was the full throttle switch installed properly?

I'll move this to the injection section.

#5 Rhillbmx

Rhillbmx

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

I know very little about the car and nothing has been written down so i have found out as much as i can through different people.

How do i get the fault codes read? Is that an expensive job?

I brought this car to learn, before i brought this i knew literally nothing what so ever but im learning so bear with me if my comments seem stupid.

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

Nothing ever seems stupid, except people who refuse to accept an answer because it's not what they want to hear!

Most garages will be able to read the codes from the computer for you, or you can buy a simple reader from larger branches of Halfords. The best thing about injection cars is that they frequently know exactly what's wrong with them if you have the tools to ask the computer.

#7 spark90

spark90

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

getting fault codes read by a garage costs around £30 - 60 depending on what garage you go to, i did a couple of things to mine which were a little bit cheaper, as you mentioned about the spark plugs, did you change them or were they changed before you got the car? because the state of them should indicate wether your running rich on oil, air, fuel, ect. also i removed my K&N filter and sprayed wynns carb and injector clean in while it was running, which helped mine to run smother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users