#16 Asphalt

Asphalt

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

You'r engine doesn't have a bypass now between pump & head, does it?...
Go use the MG's hoses and buy a Cooper RSP ('91-'92) top rad hose.
The MG's system is one of the very best and helps you to avoid cooking the head gasket (or worse) :)

Edited by Asphalt, 23 April 2009 - 03:55 PM.

#17 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the positives and encouragement again :crazy: will possibly have another update tomorrow.

You'r engine doesn't have a bypass now between pump & head, does it?...
Go use the MG's hoses and buy a Cooper RSP ('91-'92) top rad hose.
The MG's system is one of the very best and helps you to avoid cooking the head gasket (or worse) :D

Yes its got a bypass, instead of using the RSP hoses and sandwhich plate we drilled 6, 1/8 of an inch holes into the thermostat edging. We considered using the RSP hosing (mainly as I wanted the nice MG badge on the rocker cover showing!) However, the hose set up is rather expensive for what it is and we're a bit skeptical as to whether these rsp hoses are still going to be made in the future. We deemed it more practical to drill the thermostat, as does Mr Keith Calver :)

Edited by silva_mini, 24 April 2009 - 04:49 PM.

#18 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Quick Update :-

Got some more parts from minispares on Tuesday:

New Genuine Clutch Slave Cylinder
Clutch Master Cylinder Repair Kit
Goodridge Braided One Peice Clutch Hose
2x Genuine Timken Hub Kits (Wheel Bearings)
2x Upper and Lower Ball Joint Kits
1 Pot Joint Gaiter
2x CV Boot Kits.

Then, yesterday managed to do some work on the mini :dozing: First we took a pot joint off the Metro to possibly use on the mini. We then went to remove a dodgy pot joint from the mini, however, as the brakes had been bled, we couldnt undo the hub nut :lol: Had to refit the brake servo (not happy really as it needs painting :D ), re-bleed the brakes and we finally managed to undo it :closed: Had a look at the pot joint once we'd got it off the mini, the mysterious ball bearings I keep finding off the drive werent from there, the pot joint ones are much bigger. Any ideas where smaller ball bearings are used on a mini anyone??? Fitted the new pot joint gaiter on it and put it back.

We then did the upper and lower ball joints and fitted new wheel bearings on the passenger side of the car, also fitted a new cv boot on the same side. As to be expected, no play at all in the passenger side front wheel now, really pleased :closed: Also managed to fit the new clutch parts listed above, had some fun with the clutch pedal clevis pin :xxx: and we then bled the clutch in :) I've fogotten what a mini clutch pedal feels like! :P love it :)

Also fitted the new upper Engine Steady Bolt, now holding the carb away from the bulkhead a treat :) Fitted my new K&N Filter :) and whilst I was watching the Champions League(!) my Dad has hooked up all the electrics, bar a few wires and also modified the left hand side oil breather so it misses my brake servo. He also had a go at connecting the accelerator and choke cable to the carb, the choke cable is freyed at the carb end and we've misplaced a vital part off the Metro accelerator cable (despite keeping it and saying "we must keep hold of that!" :lol: lol ) . So another trip sometime this week or next to minispares for new cables.

Things left to do, Drivers side ball joints, wheel bearings, CV Boot. Fit Exhaust, connect accelerator/choke cables, fit lower engine steady and if I havent forgotten anything, we're then ready to fire her up, after which we'll be fitting the four pots off the Metro :) (and painting the brake servo black, looks terrible in the pics below :- )

More updates soon! :) Any ideas about them ball bearings anyone please let me know, starting to worry about them!! :dontgetit: All I know is they keep appearing after we've jacked it up at the front, we've had a good look underneath and cant work it out!

Posted Image
Pic showing the new Goodridge One Peice Clutch Hose & K&N Filter.

Posted Image
Wider engine bay shot, can just see the top of the modified Oil Breather, cant see the actual mods as they're at the bottom of it!

#19 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

Update from last Saturday :D

Exhaust is now on, cut the link pipe to the right size and all went on with no problems :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that the exhaust is on it was very tempting to start her for the first time, so I did :cry: Put some water, coolant and oil in and after a couple of turns (hand controlled choke and accelerator jobbie!) she started :) the neighbours had the joy of the sound of my car again! ;)

The video below doesnt really do it justice, think I may have had my hand over my phones microphone :D Its much louder when your actually there, but its a k&n cone filter with rc40 single box, so you'll all know the sound ;) Mixture is way off due to the air filter, cant wait to get her on the rollers ;)

Going to work on drivers side ball joints and wheel bearings today, any comments welcome ;)

Edited by silva_mini, 08 August 2009 - 09:27 PM.

#20 Sir Cheat

Sir Cheat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Very smart Mini, Have you been for a drive yet? Whats the power like..

#21 Mutley_RIP

Mutley_RIP

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: WAMO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

I had one of these babies in my clubby when I had it.

You are going to love it!

#22 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

Nice looking car *coughs*:
Posted Image
:(

Don't suppose you know where your arches came from?
Look the same as mine? Curve around behind the rear bumper?
nice wheels too! :cry:

I was offered a 1275 A+ engine recently.
Will be making a note of your thread for reference!
Cheers for that!

Edited by Lukie-J, 07 May 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#23 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the comments :thumbsup:

Very smart Mini, Have you been for a drive yet? Whats the power like..

Thanks :ermm: Unfortunately, no ;) I need to get my choke and accelerator cables first (on order from minispares) and it needs a rolling road session. With the choke held open it revs fine but with the choke in the K&N's sucking in air, but it starts to stall. I'll want it tuned properly and MOT'd before I hit any B roads :P

I had one of these babies in my clubby when I had it.

You are going to love it!

Thanks ;) I can see myself getting through a lot of petrol now you've said that!

Nice looking car *coughs*:
Posted Image
:thumbsup:

Don't suppose you know where your arches came from?
Look the same as mine? Curve around behind the rear bumper?
nice wheels too! :P

I was offered a 1275 A+ engine yesterday for £100.
Will be making a note of your thread for reference!
Cheers for that!

a twin! haha ^_^ I've never seen a mini like mine before!
The arches are from minispares mate, I think they are called "special wide" in fibreglass. When I bought mine, think it was 5 years ago now, they were very thin on the ground, I was told I bought the last set. Im not sure if they still make them?? Id like to know though as Im scared to take them off, they are a very tight fit and had to bend them to screw them in place, always scared they are going to crack! How long ago did you get yours??

UPDATE
Finished the drivers side ball joints, wheel bearings and cv boots yesterday. Also fitted brand new brake discs and pads on the front, we've scrapped the idea of having the Metro Four pots as they will increase the track, my front wheels are only just MOT'able with how they stick out at the moment! More soon!

#24 Lukie-J

Lukie-J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

Dunno where mine came from, probably minispares as there was a fair bit of minispares kit on it when i got it
Mine were pretty tough to fit after respray!
I know what you mean, someone decided to craah into my rear corner, cracking the arch!
Spray man managed to repair it but im worried about if someone else breaks them!
Ive never seen one with the same arches, let alone same wheels too!

#25 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

Right :dontgetit: My mini's been off at Old Skool Mini's in Birmingham for the past few weeks. Decided to bite the bullet and get the sills replaced, which should have been done when we replaced the front end, but we never did :(

We could have done it ourselves, but with the show season really kicking off now in the 50th anniversary year, I wanted a quick turnaround so I can get to these shows in the mini :dontgetit: Also, it's a job we havent really got time or proper indoor space for at home, plus I wanted some really good welding as its structural :dontgetit:

Anyway got it back today, work was spot on, very pleased with it :P. My next task is to remove the rest of the sound deadening inside the car and prep the back seat bench, floor area and interior bulkhead for painting. Will be painted gloss silver inside, going for the race look with no carpets :D

Pics and progress to follow soon :P Oh and I now have an MOT certificate :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 MINIMON

MINIMON

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

going well mate, whats happening with the metro now by the way? breaking it by any chance? :thumbsup: if so can you drop me a PM thanks :D

#27 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

PM'd :D

#28 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

Update :wub:

Two saturdays ago now (!) I whipped out the seats and harnesses to start removing the remaining sound deadening from the floor panels of my mini. I have a couple of pics from before I started. The interior is quite dirty after being sat in a bodyshop for a few weeks :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Using a tile chisel (wider, could remove more deadening quicker :wub: ) and a hammer I started to chisel off the grey deadening in the centre of the pics. The red areas are the new sills. I also removed any uneccesary wiring from my old sound system - which will not be returning :P

Half way through doing this, I noticed some water in my footwell, checked the bottom of my heater and water was leaking from it :thumbsup: Heater matrix had gone. We flushed the system during the engine change, so must have dislodged some muck blocking a leak! Fitted a new matrix later in the week and finished off removing the rest of the deadening. didnt take a pic :shifty: but got lots of prepping to do for the painting yet - will have plenty of time to take pics while watching paint dry! I placed all the removed sound deadening in a plastic bag and the weight of this stuff is quite surprising!! Made the hard work feel worth it :)

Popped the seats and harnesses back in as i've now taxed the car and am using it again :)

Saturday just gone we popped up to Collins Rolling Road, which is just down the road from us :) to get the mixture set up properly. The current carb needle was filed down a bit and its now running really well :) Made 72.9 bhp on its final run :) A few photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We took it to Gaydon for its first show on Sunday :) Ran really, really well there and back :) No problems at all :)

Last night I took my dash out to fit my dials a little bit better, fix the standard shelf where the glove box is and I also removed the interior bulkhead sound deadening (louder :)) I fitted a new steering wheel I bought on Sunday at Gaydon, its the same one as before though, the leather was peeling off the back of my old one :strongsad: Also tidied up the wiring for my head unit. No pics again unfortunately, I just got on with it!

Next up, removing the rest of the stuck on glue from the sound deadening on the floor, then im ready for primering :) Will probs do this Saturday :)

What do you guys think??

#29 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

I think it looks good, well done. Made some decent power aswel.

#30 silva_mini

silva_mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

Thanks :D Just cant wait to get on and get the floor painted up now :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users