89 replies to this topic

#61 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:42 PM

my freind was telling me a story about someone he knows who is 17 who managed to get his insurance down to £200 without fronting at all.

first off he bought a 1.4 ford mondeo, which isnt classed as a normal first car, which lower the insurance straigh away
then bought a garrage from argos to park the car in
then did a pass pluss scheme
then an advanced driving course
fitted what was one of the highest rated allarms
and put his occupation down as his part time job, rather than studant (which is seen as legal as he spends more time at work than he does at collage
then he put his details into all of the comparison sites, and found the cheepest quote, got a quote from that company direct, and then found some kind of cash back website, and registerd the insurance though there, and they gave him an extra £150 back.

this was all perfectly legal, and abouve board, and damn cheap i think, especially for his age.

i think the main thing to lower the insurance is where you live, i got two quotes from the confused.com one where i said it lived at my home address, and one where i said i lived at my friends adress, which is less than 5 miles down the road, it would cost me and extra £537 if i lived at his address!

Chris

#62 dave1324

dave1324

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Local Club: minis 'n' oatcakes

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

dude just get a 998 and put some high ratio rockers and a decent cam on it, no need for a vtec or 1380 at 17, keep it small and the insurance will stay small!

#63 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

my freind was telling me a story about someone he knows who is 17 who managed to get his insurance down to £200 without fronting at all.

first off he bought a 1.4 ford mondeo, which isnt classed as a normal first car, which lower the insurance straigh away
and put his occupation down as his part time job, rather than studant (which is seen as legal as he spends more time at work than he does at collage
then he put his details into all of the comparison sites, and found the cheepest quote, got a quote from that company direct, and then found some kind of cash back website, and registerd the insurance though there, and they gave him an extra £150 back.

this was all perfectly legal, and abouve board, and damn cheap i think, especially for his age.

i think the main thing to lower the insurance is where you live, i got two quotes from the confused.com one where i said it lived at my home address, and one where i said i lived at my friends adress, which is less than 5 miles down the road, it would cost me and extra £537 if i lived at his address!

Chris

but what was the extra cost of the alarm/passplus course/ advanced driving/ garage etc. bet it was more than what it would have cost insurance

GL1

#64 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

Has anyone else had a VTEC insured at 17?

got a quote for £800 from performance direct at 17...

as said before, phone around and find out because it will be different for everyone

GL1

Sorry but that doesnt seem right! There must be more to it done that, like you was put down as a named driver or something. I'll give them a ring tonight see how much they quote me now!

#65 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

Chris

but what was the extra cost of the alarm/passplus course/ advanced driving/ garage etc. bet it was more than what it would have cost insurance

GL1

Exactly what I was thinking :proud: Must have cost him £1-1.5k to do all that! Having said that I would much rather spend money making my car more secure and improving my driving skills than chucking it at an insurance company.

#66 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

as said before, phone around and find out because it will be different for everyone

GL1

Sorry but that doesnt seem right! There must be more to it done that, like you was put down as a named driver or something. I'll give them a ring tonight see how much they quote me now!

Mmm what I was thinking... £800 for a 17 year old for a standard mini is cheap... but a VTEC mini?
Was the insurance under your name or were you a named driver?
And was your mini a Q plate? (I understand a Q plated car is cheaper to insure as it has been checked by a professional for build quality etc)

#67 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

GL1

Mmm what I was thinking... £800 for a 17 year old for a standard mini is cheap... but a VTEC mini?
Was the insurance under your name or were you a named driver?
And was your mini a Q plate? (I understand a Q plated car is cheaper to insure as it has been checked by a professional for build quality etc)

£800 limited to 3000miles (i think i said that) me down as policy holder and only driver on the policy, not q plated, just a straight engine swap with coil overs and front 7.5" cooper s disc brakes. all quoted. it was £300 for standard 998 mini :proud:

that was at 17, just passed test, no advanced driving, when i said i had 1 year no claims on a motorcycle it dropped another £50 :teehee:

GL1

#68 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

£800 limited to 3000miles (i think i said that) me down as policy holder and only driver on the policy, not q plated, just a straight engine swap with coil overs and front 7.5" cooper s disc brakes. all quoted. it was £300 for standard 998 mini :proud:

that was at 17, just passed test, no advanced driving, when i said i had 1 year no claims on a motorcycle it dropped another £50 :teehee:

GL1

Wow that's really cheap. If you don't mind me asking how long ago was this quote made!!
And this is with performance direct right ??

#69 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

Chris

GL1

Exactly what I was thinking :proud: Must have cost him £1-1.5k to do all that! Having said that I would much rather spend money making my car more secure and improving my driving skills than chucking it at an insurance company.

i would agree with that, the money spent on the car to lower the insurance will last long, and isnt just money downt he drain, things like the pass plus and advanced driving course will stay with you for the whole of your driving life, so they may cost £150 to do them, but in the long run could save you thousands!

#70 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:08 PM

GL1

Wow that's really cheap. If you don't mind me asking how long ago was this quote made!!

yes that was performance direct, about 6 months ago

GL1

#71 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

GL1

yes that was performance direct, about 6 months ago

GL1

Mmm may have to give them a ring! Sorry for all the questions but did you tell just tell them your mods etc. And then they pick the right policy for you or did you ask for modified mini insurance policy with limited milage?

Edited by Mini Adam, 22 April 2009 - 02:34 PM.

#72 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Mmm may have to give them a ring! Sorry for all the questions but did you tell just tell them your mods etc. And then they pick the right policy for you or did you ask for modified mini insurance policy with limited milage?

i went to their website on the modified cars insurance page and called the number shown. they wouldnt insure me with unlimited miles, and they asked how many miles i plan on doing, for 1500 miles it was £700, for 3000miles was £800 and for 4000 miles was £1100

GL1

#73 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

i went to their website on the modified cars insurance page and called the number shown. they wouldnt insure me with unlimited miles, and they asked how many miles i plan on doing, for 1500 miles it was £700, for 3000miles was £800 and for 4000 miles was £1100

GL1

Oh right ok I see....
I wouldn't mind about the limited miles thing because you could just disconnect the speedo
Sounds like you got a good deal!

#74 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

see this link modified cars

at the bottom there is a list of insurers and websites, sit down with a phone :rolleyes: £20 spent on phone bills can save you thousands in insurance cost, make sure you note down the quotes from each insurer and what is included (breakdown/legal etc.)

and remember to reconnect your speedo cable in the event of a crash, or dont drive over 3000 miles in a year :) :D

GL1

#75 Mini Adam

Mini Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

see this link modified cars

at the bottom there is a list of insurers and websites, sit down with a phone :rolleyes: £20 spent on phone bills can save you thousands in insurance cost, make sure you note down the quotes from each insurer and what is included (breakdown/legal etc.)

and remember to reconnect your speedo cable in the event of a crash, or dont drive over 3000 miles in a year :) :D

GL1

thanks.. i think you posted that link earlier and i had a quick read through it
ill have a proper read now :rolleyes:
thankks for your help!

and yeah remember to connect it again.. i will :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users