#17 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

hi, i was just wondering where you got the turbo manifolds? as im thinking of having a go at one myself, 998 :w00t: i can get a t2 turbo and intercooler and a plenum chamber off a metro turbo, what else will i need? actuator, fuel feeds? cheers

hello mate the metro turbo doesnt have a t2 turbo or an intercooler. to fit the t2 you either need to modify the metro manifold, or get some mirage manifolds. if you use the mirage, you dont need to modify the bulkhead. have a look on turbophils site for info on the turbo conversion.

#18 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:19 PM

woohoo it passed it mot 1st time for the second year running i cant believe it! got the block back now, so i can can start assembling stuff. also have need to get bronze bushes put into the rods, because the piston pin is a different size.

#19 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

been trial fitting the manifolds to an old head, and have managed to get the turbo inlet to fit with the mirage exhaust manifold (after some tweaking with an angle grinder). the flange (heehee) on the inlet was 5mm thicker so this had to be adjusted as well. the pic shows where the manifold has been ground to clear the other one.

been trial fitting the manifolds to an old head, and have managed to get the turbo inlet to fit with the mirage exhaust manifold (after some tweaking with an angle grinder). the flange (heehee) on the inlet was 5mm thicker so this had to be adjusted as well. the pic shows where the manifold has been ground to clear the other one.

and heres the two on together. very little room for spanners etc

Attached Files

#20 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:03 AM

the engine is in now, and will be run without the turbo until ive sorted that out. I started it for the first time last night, and after some fidling with timing, got it running and i bed in the cam for 20mins as advised. the old engine died before this one was finished, so there was a gap of a couple of months where ive had no car.
gotta sort out the rear lights, wipers and horn, then im off for a test drive, which im looking forward to.

#21 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:53 AM

sounds like a great engine you're building there! looking forward to hearing how you get on with it! :w00t:

#22 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:45 PM

looking like a fun project there dude! the manifold is a bit tight is there asny acess for a spanner anyhere?

#23 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

thanks for the replies.
minipip, i believe you can get a spanner between the head and the manifold.

the engine now has 11 miles on it, and has had an oil change. it going really nicely, gearbox sounds fantastic, not as loud as i thought it would be. for a low compression ratio (8.0-1) it goes really well

#24 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Redditch Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

What do you mean by it goes really well? With a CR like that i thought it wouldve been a tad slow
when off boost. You still aiming for 130bhp or a bit more?

Nice looking project.

#25 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

its still without turbo, so i'm always off boost! I was expecting it to be sluggish because of the CR, but its not too bad. it beats a 1.2 16v corsa no probs (not compared with any others), and with the phase 2 cam its still pulling strong at 6500rpm when i change gear.

not had time to do much lately except collect parts, but ill take it all into work next week and start making brackets etc

i'll go for about 12psi probabaly. i've also decided on a morespeed stage 3 head, which also has bigger valves than standard. this should give over 130bhp i'd have thought. we'll see

Edited by Leonard, 13 January 2007 - 02:56 PM.

#26 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

We will have to have a little private race and see the difference between a 1293 T2 and a 1310 T3 hee hee.

What intercooler will you be running? When you hoping to have the turbo etc installed?
Have you ordered your head yet?

#27 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

yeah i'd be up for a 'performance comparison'! not ordered head yet, ive got a 2wd cossie intercooler off ebay. hopefully within a few months but ive been saying that for ages now!

#28 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

Ive got an rs turbo intercooler, i think im gonna go for a morspeed head as well as all ive heard is good
things. Im hoping to have mine done in a few months as well then its the boring task of running it in.
How long are you planning on running it in for?

#29 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

the engine has already done about 1400 miles i think, so it's run in

#30 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

i'd order now if your using morspeed it takes a while from Simon
make sure your cars are spaced a few feet appart or you'l smash into each other with the torque steer haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users