#1 Rhillbmx

Rhillbmx

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

I have a 1987 Mayfair with a spi 1.3 cooper engine and I'm having some problems

If I drive the car remotely high revs, over about 3500rpm 2 minutes later when I get to the traffic lights the car will just stall over and over again. It usually doesn't do it if I don't high rev the car but sometimes it will just bad idel from the moment I turn the engine on.

Also It does not seem to go as fast as it should be able to. When I accelerate it seems to hold back a little bit. I have resent replaced the spark plugs and the leads but maybe both the problems are linked??

It does not seem to make a difference if the engine is hot or cold and the electrics always work so I'm not quite sure what the problem could be.

I do not know a huge amount about cars so please b patient with my replies I will try my hardest.

Any help would be greatly appricated.

#2 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

is the engine injection or carb,as you have posted in the injection section i take it that its an injection,check all your capilery tubes for splits and holes ( the plastic tubes at the back of the engine),they are coloured red black and yellow, pay particular attention to the the black one which leads from the ECU to the fuel trap,also check the rubber elbows for splits and holes,also check that your air filter element is not dirty or blocked,re-new if unsure and they are inexpensive and readily available.when was the last time your fuel filter was replaced.once you have answers and checked the above post back

Edited by the.stroker, 29 April 2009 - 05:43 PM.

#3 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

just re-read the post and noticed its a single point,so check all the above and let us know!

#4 Dan6061

Dan6061

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Local Club: -

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

I'm having the same problem! All my vacuum pipes are fine, elbows are all good. No splits, cracks, holes, or blockages. Air filter is clean...
But it still cuts out! I'll be sat in traffic, or waiting at a junction, and it dies.

#5 Rhillbmx

Rhillbmx

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

I will check the pipes later but i know the K&N air filter is loose on top because whenever i try and tighten the jubilee clip it just pushs the filter loose. Could this be it?

I do not know if its an injection or a carb as far as i know its an injection because it has an ECU?? Is there any way of telling. like i said i know very little about cars.

With the pipes I have recently looked for air leaks by straying wd40 on all the pipes i could see but the engine noise did not change at all. The pipe coming out of the sensor for the air filter is quite split, but this is not a vacum pipe so I dont know if that could be it.

#6 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

any split in any plastic pipe could effect the engine,they should be in nothing less than mint condition,as you have an ECU then the car will be an injected model,single point engines have a side mounted rad,Multi point engines have a front mounted rad,this is the easiest way to distinguish between them.
best option is to go to the injection section and look at the fault finding guide written by sprockett,this will cover everything to check in detail.

post back and let us know how you are getting on

Edited by the.stroker, 30 April 2009 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users