12 replies to this topic

#1 racingbrett

racingbrett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

well its not quiet a mini buts its pretty close, it all started a good 6 years back (time flys) when i bought it of ebay paid a shavin under a grand for it with the interior stripped n just needin a little tidying up, meh bolted in some seats n drove the thing :thumbsup: car came with a med built 1380, omega pistons mildish cam to keep it driveable (266 i think) and a stage 2 big valve head breathing through a hiff44 on i think a minispares inlet with a :shy: metro manifold, think CR was 10.1, gearbox was and still is unknown, anyways whilst it was nippy it certainly didnt feel like a rocket so lets start simple i thought and went of to get an lcb spent some time lookin at a delorto 45 in the display cabinet at the shop droolin and the guy has to go n offer it to me for 100 quid, sold as well as all the other bits needed to fit it, next stop the local mini breakers for some random bits i needed and he has to tempt me with a stage 3 road race big valve flowed head, u can have that for 75 he says just been rebuilt the engine it was on threw its guys into the gearbox (old story uppin the power without a decent bottom end) so my little manifold swap turned into a snarlin n snortin top end rebuild, spent a while figurin out all the carbs jettin size's n correct stack lengths bolted it all up n hmmm the exhaust aint going to work anymore n no one seems to have kit car exhausts on the shelf, strange that ehh, so one custom exhaust fab later n the car barks jobs a gooden, time to get to a RR and get it set up right, or not, on the drive home from havin the exhaust done the throttle jams wide open look at me maaaaaaa ;). one new throttle cable later takin it easy cause of not been tuned properly yet and it only takes a week before this one jams to :/ what the hell, so i start messing around with throttle linkages and it seems good but then jams up :/ car gets laid up other projects come and go, fast forward 5 years and i feel a need for more £££ in my wallet its got to go so i re-engineer the pedal and cable run, woot, sort the interior and were just about there, just re-engineering the dual ;) handbrake cables that seem to be stickin a little and cost 55 quid each +pp (like im payin that).

needless to say the last year its been an ongoing slog to get it ready to sell and now im thinking hey this is nice ^_^) i wonder my ol jeep is hittin high miles and is heavy on the wear n tear (goes through tires n brakes like a brown liquid of a shovel)

Still needs a RR session, but what would you estimate this to get on the old mpg cruising not pushing it, im kinda expecting real low figures which doesnt really put it into daily driver territory but if a 1300 mini can get a semi decent figure surely 80cc wont make to much of a diff. would be real funny to end up puttin the old head and intake back on after all the time n struggles to get it sorted. (if i could get a semi decent mpg figure this could even end up getting turbo'd off boost cruisin and on boost nutty insane fun, used to love my r5)

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,438 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

It's got all the right bits for decent mpg - except that carb :shy:

photos plz, 'n who built your exhaust?

#3 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:41 AM

Sounds good!

#4 1987_ParkLane

1987_ParkLane

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Local Club: The Mini Forum

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

Wow nice little intro there, we really need some pictures though :shy: .

Edited by 1987_ParkLane, 03 May 2009 - 09:58 AM.

#5 rofert

rofert

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Local Club: Cardiff Mini Club

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Also worth you having a look at the GTM forum , they give good help and advice on options.

GTM Forum

I used to stage rally a coupe and am slowly getting the bug back to get another GTM.
Rofeet

#6 racingbrett

racingbrett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:08 AM

cheers for all the replys so far, ill try take some pics and get them up, cars currently stored at my parents place as mine only has space for one jeep :(

Cheers

Brett

Edited by racingbrett, 04 May 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#7 racingbrett

racingbrett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

finally got the mot today so heres some pics, still a few bits of tidying to finish of yet,

exhaust was built by a old school local exhaust centre in stafford, its basically a free flowing single box put into place and with the link pipes and exit fabbed up by them.

engine doesnt look like much but i assure u its a tight fit to work on ;D
Posted Image

new interior, leather seats look spot on just need to tidy up the carpet edges

Posted Image

Posted Image

really need a boot for the gear lever looks real ugly

Posted Image

few different angles of the outside, need to get some more "thinner" perspex to finish of the front light covers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 rofert

rofert

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Local Club: Cardiff Mini Club

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

Nice looking Rossa, don't put pictures up giving me the GTM bug even more, looking at the way the rear body work is made it would be quite easy to make it removeable which would give great engine access.
Rofert

#9 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

looks great to me

#10 racingbrett

racingbrett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

the rear is removable, the top part is 4 bolts to the hinge mechanism and the rear boot is 2 large bolts going back into the main body only problems can be with the exhaust and re-aligning all the bodywork everytime seems to take a few goes to get it looking just right.

nxt pics might be with the roof of just to give u that bug even more :dozing:

was a quite funny going through the mot today, brakes were failing on efficeny even tho theres nothing wrong with them :/ figured it out in the end.. car was that light we had to get 2 big blokes to sit on the over each wheel :dozing:

#11 racingbrett

racingbrett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

been a while but here it is finished, wasnt happy with the interior finish so i started over and them light lenses were a pita to make, must have cut out 7 of them with a slow process of shaping/bending them over a long period of time so as not to stress and crack them, real annoyin when you go for the final fit and they shatter :/

anyways here it is enjoy :gimme:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

Cracking job, well done.
Hope you're enjoying it too. :gimme:

#13 racingbrett

racingbrett

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

Cracking job, well done.
Hope you're enjoying it too. :-

wish i was able to, its looking like my medical problems are limiting my ability to drive it :D the lack of power steering and the positioning of the gearstick are causing my chest problems to flair up again :xxx:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users