#16 mambaman

mambaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

stuart gurr doesnt do 5/6 speed boxes anymore

the only reliable 5 speed box will probably be the kad one, but its not a road going unit as i think its dog engagement and is a wedge of cash.

#17 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

would a 4 speed box with a 3.44 final drive, be ok?

IMO, the best ratio for a mini providing good acceleration and not too high rpm at 70 ( approx 4k depending on wheel size )

Done something right for once :blink:

#18 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:48 PM

Ok, let's get this right.

The only Mini that had a factory fitted 5 Speed was one special edition called the Cooper Sport 5.

They're pretty rare (obviously) and I believe they had the JK 5 speed in them, which is now discontinued.

Have a look in the Classifieds of the Mini mags, I think there's been one in recently.

#19 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

Ok, let's get this right.

The only Mini that had a factory fitted 5 Speed was one special edition called the Cooper Sport 5.

They're pretty rare (obviously) and I believe they had the JK 5 speed in them, which is now discontinued.

Have a look in the Classifieds of the Mini mags, I think there's been one in recently.

Thanks for clearing that up Wiggy! :wink:

#20 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:54 PM

No worries, fella.

I only wish they were fitted to ordinary Cooper Sports. :rolleyes:

#21 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:05 PM

No no no no no no no.

Not one single Mini ever left the factory line fitted with a 5 speed gearbox. Rover did look at using the Jack Knight box for a while but it could not be done for little enough money in their opinion.

John Cooper Garages offered a conversion which was covered by the Rover warranty programme called the Sport 5 Touring, which did include the upgrade to a Jack Knight 5 speed and which was not cheap. It was not factory built, it was a pack only available directly from John Cooper Garages in Worthing which is not part of Rover in any way.

The Jack Knight 5 Speed was discontinued in helical cut form as the supply of new parts for the first four speeds is now unreliable (the Jack Knight like all the synchromesh 5 speed gearboxes uses the standard gearset for the first four ratios) but it is planned to re-introduce it as soon as a regular supplier gets allowed access to the required tooling which may turn out to be BMH. It remains available in straight cut form both in synchro and dog engagement.

#22 ianbunyan

ianbunyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:07 PM

I do think the Cooper Sport 500's had a 5-speed box in them (I think it was a Jack Knight jobbie too). Not sure if it may have been an 'optional extra'. :saywhat:

This is true, the Cooper Sports 500 has a factory fitted 5-speed box.

#23 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:56 PM

No no no no no no no.

Not one single Mini ever left the factory line fitted with a 5 speed gearbox. Rover did look at using the Jack Knight box for a while but it could not be done for little enough money in their opinion.

John Cooper Garages offered a conversion which was covered by the Rover warranty programme called the Sport 5 Touring, which did include the upgrade to a Jack Knight 5 speed and which was not cheap. It was not factory built, it was a pack only available directly from John Cooper Garages in Worthing which is not part of Rover in any way.

The Jack Knight 5 Speed was discontinued in helical cut form as the supply of new parts for the first four speeds is now unreliable (the Jack Knight like all the synchromesh 5 speed gearboxes uses the standard gearset for the first four ratios) but it is planned to re-introduce it as soon as a regular supplier gets allowed access to the required tooling which may turn out to be BMH. It remains available in straight cut form both in synchro and dog engagement.

Ah, is that so.

Well, I'm probably wrong then. It is a grey area to me, between factory and JC Garages.

Anyway that's as close as you'll get to factory 5 speeds anyway. :rolleyes:

#24 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:58 PM

I do think the Cooper Sport 500's had a 5-speed box in them (I think it was a Jack Knight jobbie too). Not sure if it may have been an 'optional extra'.  :saywhat:

This is true, the Cooper Sports 500 has a factory fitted 5-speed box.

I'm sure they didn't as I was looking to buy one. There wasn't any real difference between Cooper Sports and CS500s.

Apart from a 500 plaque I think.

#25 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:15 AM

This is why I was 99.9% sure, we have 3 cooper 500's in the club and they are all 4 speed, but they do have they stoopid 2.7 final drive...

#26 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:05 AM

:rolleyes: MANY A MUCKLE MAKES A MUCKLE!!!! :cry:
Suffice to say, some Minis may have a 5 speed box, but I aint sure! :cheese:

I have, however taken on board GW's comments on FD's, sounds like a sensible ratio to me

#27 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

All minis have 5 speed out of factory, one happens to be reverse :rolleyes:

Sorry im bored and it had to be said.

On this matter ive got a 1.3 diff on my 998 (it be a city E) and its good for town driving and the acceleration aint too bad. It can struggle on some hills but that could be down to the state of tuning. On the motorway it can do over 55 mpg and cruise nicly at 70.

This is a bog standard 998 with no mods except the electronic ignition. When my stage one gets bought im hoping for the mpg to go higher.

#28 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:30 AM

... ive got a 1.3 diff on my 998 (it be a city E)...

That'd be 2.95 :cheese:

#29 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:38 AM

Thats the one... i know its 2. somthing lol.

#30 Gibbo

Gibbo

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:00 PM

would a 4 speed box with a 3.44 final drive, be ok?

IMO, the best ratio for a mini providing good acceleration and not too high rpm at 70 ( approx 4k depending on wheel size )

what final drive do the mpi coopers have? as in other threads i'll probably looking for a new box soon for the mpi that does about 70mph at 3250rpm. thats if the speedo is at all accurate :rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users