#1 blair

blair

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

hi all,

i am a newbie to restoring cars so im looking for some advice, my mini requires new wings and front panel and was wondering if some of you more experianced mini restorers could help me by giving me hints and tips on how to do it. I will also be asking some other questions later on in the restoration, so be prepared :lol:

thanks, blair

#2 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

well i wouldnt call myself an expert but to remove the wings u need a spot weld drill bit drill out the spot welds on the inner wings and then cut the wings along wing near the a pilliar with the doors off and then u can do closer cuts once the wings are removed if that helps

#3 jjojjas

jjojjas

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

I use a drill (any drill, about 8-10mm) then a chisel. I finish off with a grinder.
Some cut the whole thing off with a grinder, but thats too noisy & messy for me. If your unsure, then get some snips and cut the main part of the wing off then you can work your way around the remaining seam with a drill on the spots, then some pliars/grips to pull the edge off and then get the chisel in between whats left.
Not sure if I made much sense there?
Jas

#4 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

Does anyone have a full guide on how to remove the wings?

#5 brianmini

brianmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClan

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

Does anyone have a full guide on how to remove the wings?

Yes.... :thumbsup:

Remove bonnet, look at the edge of the wing, unless its covered in seam sealer you should see a dimple roughly every inch, this is the spot weld. Get a spotweld drill and drill out these welds (being careful to not go right through the panel, you should see the swarf from the drill bit change colour when you grind past the weld). Check my picture, I did drill right through a couple of times, pretty visible on my pic.

Pry off the seam strip down the a-panel/wing join. There should be spot welds here too, however I just grind down the inside edge of the wing (leaving the a-panel intact with a lip of the wing attached! (although I replaced the A-panel too, seemed churlish not to considering the cheapness of the panel). I also did the scuttle end too.

Front panel to wing joint, if your just replacing the front panel too then just cut with a cutter disk in your angle grinder following just about the seam.

Give the wing a wee jiggle and it should feel loose-ish (compared to before you went nuts with the drill and grinder). If it does, get a good hold of the wing and give it a short sharp tug upwards and it should pretty much just lift off.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Removing front panel, once the wings are off the front panel will be held in 4 places, 2 tabs either side of the car where the front panel is attached to the inner wing, spot weld drill out the welds or grind off the front panel leaving the tab still attached to the inner wing, and then chisel this off with a cold chisel or grind.

Front panel is also bolted in place to the front of the subframe, either side of the numberplate. Undo these bolts.... front panel should come off easily.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Reverse order for reasembly as Haynes would say.

Me I'd do this,

1. Bolt up front panel to subframe (not too tight, so you can move/adjust it to fit wings properly.
2. fit wings with small mole grips.
3. Adjust the wing/front panel until your happy with the fit.
4. Fit the bonnet if you can to check that it all lines up nicely.
5. Weldathon time.
6. stand back and admire your glory.

Attached Files

Edited by brianmini, 15 May 2009 - 08:38 AM.

#6 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

You, sir are a legend! Thank you

#7 brianmini

brianmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClan

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

You, sir are a legend! Thank you

Not at all, I just went through that pain 5 weeks ago, so still fresh in my memory.... or should I say still suffering form the scaring!

Don't worry, It'll soon like that this again! http://www.theminifo...x...st&id=85053

#8 blair

blair

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

thanks for all the help, im going to be taking them off tomorow(would you like pictures) is it worth going out and buying a spott weld drill?

#9 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

thanks for all the help, im going to be taking them off tomorow(would you like pictures) is it worth going out and buying a spott weld drill?

it's just a drill bit, so i would say yes... seeing as i have just snapped two normal drill bits already :(

Edited by Fire_monkey, 15 May 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#10 bndesigns

bndesigns

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

it's just a drill bit, so i would say yes... seeing as i have just snapped two normal drill bits already ;)

Taken mine off today and as im replacing wings, a panels and front panel i cut most of the panels away with a cutting disc first then drilled out welds with a spot weld drill.
a couple of pics during and after (still needs finished though).

Attached Files

#11 daemonchild

daemonchild

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

Is there any drama if the mini isn't on level ground when I cut off the front?
Mine is on rear axle stands, but on it's wheels at the front.
I could raise it up at the front, but is there any need to be level??

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users