13 replies to this topic

#1 obiwan riley

obiwan riley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

anyone ever done or heard of a vw engine in a mini?

#2 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

one of the guys in our club is doing a golf gti engine, its started out as being front mounted and was almost done, now we're going to mid mount it instead and go rear wheel drive.

#3 Zacherius

Zacherius

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Local Club: M4MINIS

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

anyone ever done or heard of a vw engine in a mini?

In one of my MiniMags someone put a G40 Polo engine into a Rover Mini if that helps ?!? I'll see if I can find it ( as kept them all ). You can have it for free if I can. Showed all the details of how they did it, and had to split up bits ( to put more in the boot.

#4 lowandslow

lowandslow

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: east coast mini club

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

well in our unit we have my vw camper and my mates clubby estate and we sized the engine bay of the clubby up to the air cooled bus engine and it looked like a good fit plus it would have to be rear wheel drive ;)

#5 obiwan riley

obiwan riley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

In one of my MiniMags someone put a G40 Polo engine into a Rover Mini

cool, dont suppose you could scan a pic or two, i live in greece see and things are hard to come by here!

cheers for the help.

#6 Welsh-boy-hughesi

Welsh-boy-hughesi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

would love to see a polo 1300 engine conversion as i am currently in the proses of doing so and ready to start chopping and welding subframe

#7 AdamMk1

AdamMk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

1.4mpi from a 9n went in a dutch mini a while back that was featured in mini mag, it was painted same color scheme as the Mr Bean mini.

#8 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

well in our unit we have my vw camper and my mates clubby estate and we sized the engine bay of the clubby up to the air cooled bus engine and it looked like a good fit plus it would have to be rear wheel drive :P

i would love to see that! lol

#9 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

The camper conversion would be a waste imho :/ one conversion id like to see though is either a 911 turbo or a scub turbo engine in the back of a mini :P

#10 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

I dare say most engines have been shoehorned in a mini somewhere at some point over the last 40 years or so

I was helping my cousin (who does VW engine swaps) shift a 2.8 VR6 engine once and was surprised at the overall size of it, it certainly wasn't a huge engine like I was expecting, the gearbox wasn't attached so don't know what size that is though, but for the overall size of chucking it in a mini would be tempting......if I could make my own subframe ;D

#11 talkalot

talkalot

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

I recommend a polo G40 1.3 supercharged (115hp) in a Mini, Its good for everyday use and 0-60 in 8.2secs with the polo shell, its easy to get them to 170hp, so imagine how quick it would be in mini? Buy spare driveshafts though ;)

#12 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

They're a bit thin on the ground though, there're easier ways to get that kind of power without the added headache of forced induction.

#13 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

well in our unit we have my vw camper and my mates clubby estate and we sized the engine bay of the clubby up to the air cooled bus engine and it looked like a good fit plus it would have to be rear wheel drive :)

That would be amusing, but entirely pointless >_< Take out one average engine, fit one TERRIBLE one.

#14 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

1.8 Turbo

:ohno:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users