26 replies to this topic

#1 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

I got a V-tec and a subframe from this site off a nice bloke and i have begun the long process of stripping everything out of my mini. I do a music production course at guildford everyday so my time is limited and i haven't done alot so far but i thought i would document it. Also if there are any technically minded people that want to help and give me tips, go ahead.

here are my first few pictures for you to have a goosy at

Attached Files

#2 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:02 AM

I haven't decided wether i should cut off the front and get a fibreglas one (i think i will), i have heard that you can get extended roundnose ones, does anyone know where i can get one?

also that fatty isnt me, its my mate :(

Edited by fr0gin, 21 May 2009 - 11:05 AM.

#3 scoticus

scoticus

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

I haven't decided wether i should cut off the front and get a fibreglas one (i think i will), i have heard that you can get extended roundnose ones, does anyone know where i can get one?

also that fatty isnt me, its my mate :(

personaly i think you should stick with metal panels..

this thread shows you why, my mate was only doing 40 mph...

scroll down to see the pics..

http://www.theminifo...p;#entry1460180

but, it is your car, so its upto you mate...

#4 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

ah, don't get extended front if you can help it will look sooo bad

#5 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

crap, wow. and that was with metal panels?

The only problem is how easily will the engine be to fit using the normal metal panels. i could put the rad in the boot but that means i might have to uprate the water pump.

if i put the rad in the back i should be able to avoid the extended front anyway, if not ill go clubman, i dont like that as much but it may be a necessity.

Edited by fr0gin, 21 May 2009 - 12:27 PM.

#6 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

The only problem is how easily will the engine be to fit using the normal metal panels. i could put the rad in the boot but that means i might have to uprate the water pump.

if i put the rad in the back i should be able to avoid the extended front anyway, if not ill go clubman, i dont like that as much but it may be a necessity.

Yeah, good luck getting adequate cooling...

#7 scoticus

scoticus

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

yup, completly solid car...

as for the rad.. hmmm.. realy depends on the kind of look you are going for... i saw a mini, with V-Tech power, and the rad had been place above the engine, and a new bonnet, adapted to give extra height, looked like a fair bit of work though...

but if your going for a more 'standard' look, then you could put the rad in the back, or under the rear sub-frame (correctme if im wrong), and fit an uprated water pump.. there fore, you get the standard mini, and HUGE power..

OR, quick thought, you could put the radiator above the rear seats, I.E on the roof, and cut a scoop out to allow air flow.. i think that would look cool as hell... just make sure you plumbing is good lol

:(

Scoticus

#8 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:12 PM

yup, completly solid car...

as for the rad.. hmmm.. realy depends on the kind of look you are going for... i saw a mini, with V-Tech power, and the rad had been place above the engine, and a new bonnet, adapted to give extra height, looked like a fair bit of work though...

but if your going for a more 'standard' look, then you could put the rad in the back, or under the rear sub-frame (correctme if im wrong), and fit an uprated water pump.. there fore, you get the standard mini, and HUGE power..

OR, quick thought, you could put the radiator above the rear seats, I.E on the roof, and cut a scoop out to allow air flow.. i think that would look cool as hell... just make sure you plumbing is good lol

:(

Scoticus

the roof idea sounds brilliant but would be quite alot of work. i was intending the mini to look as standard as possible so that i could show up chavs in their corsa's

#9 lon3_wo1f409

lon3_wo1f409

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

[/quote]

the roof idea sounds brilliant but would be quite alot of work. i was intending the mini to look as standard as possible so that i could show up chavs in their corsa's
[/quote]

now i like the sound of that lol to see the shock on there faces when they get beaten by a car in the 60s-80s or what year yours is lol

the look on chavs face = priceless :(

#10 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

now i like the sound of that lol to see the shock on there faces when they get beaten by a car in the 60s-80s or what year yours is lol

the look on chavs face = priceless :(

my mini in an 89, not the oldest but old enuogh, i was wondering weather to keep it tatty looking for added effect, but the prospect of having a beautiful looking mini is too appealing.

#11 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

Not an issue. Slap some fans on and its fine.

#12 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

Not an issue. Slap some fans on and its fine.

do you happen to know what extra pump power ill need? i was thinking getting one off some sort of lorry down the scrappy.

#13 Gexx

Gexx

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

http://www.16vminicl...orums/index.php

is an absolute goldmine for building a Honda vtec conversion. It can be sometimes quite 'interesting' to use the search function - but stick with it and you will find some very interesting topics.

I know you can fit the vtec in a non extended roundnose with the rad at the front - have a look on there for people builds and it will give you the info you want!

Good luck and if you want to see mine at any point, PM me as I'm up the road in Reading.

#14 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

http://www.16vminicl...orums/index.php

is an absolute goldmine for building a Honda vtec conversion. It can be sometimes quite 'interesting' to use the search function - but stick with it and you will find some very interesting topics.

I know you can fit the vtec in a non extended roundnose with the rad at the front - have a look on there for people builds and it will give you the info you want!

Good luck and if you want to see mine at any point, PM me as I'm up the road in Reading.

Yeah I'd love to see it. It would be great to see how it fits, what mods you did and get tips on how to do it. I finish term in a few weeks so I could pop up some time after that. I want to get the bulk of the mini done this summer.

#15 fr0gin

fr0gin

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

had loads of work on so haven't been able to do much today. i got off the master cylinder and thats it. hoping to maybe get as far as romoving the engine tomorrow as i only have work in the morning.

i was thinking on breaks, i was thinking 4 pots.

anyone have any good suggestions? i have 13'' wheels so size isnt much of an issue

Edited by fr0gin, 24 May 2009 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users