8 replies to this topic

#1 petrolhead2047

petrolhead2047

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

I want to but a roll cage in my mini, but you should/have to tell your insurance company don’t you?

Im guessing it would come under "modification to your vehicle", but what I want to know is how much this puts your insurance up, I know it’s a lot to do with your age (I am 20).

So for these of you that have a roll cage and have told your insurance could you give me some kind of idea what to expect?

Thanks

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

Many insurance companies will refuse you insurance entirely if you have a roll cage, they won't even quote you. Others will accept it as a modification that doesn't increase the liability and so won't charge for it at all. As you would know if you read 'The Insurance Thread' here, everyone's insurance is different and the cost depends entirely on who you are, where you live and who you are insured by. The only way to get an answer to this question is to phone some companies and ask for a quote. We try to discourage insurance threads here because of all these reasons, there is no right answer to the question.

#3 petrolhead2047

petrolhead2047

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Thats Fair enough, ok thank you dan, i will have to phone around and see what i can find

Thanks

#4 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

Post up your finding may be use to others then :D

#5 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

Post up your finding may be use to others then :)

my 1979 1098cc mini1000 with 2 bucket seats, harnesses, roll cage, performane engine mods, coil overs and uprated disk brakes was £650 TPFT with HIC at 19 years of age.

HTH

GL1

#6 rosco454

rosco454

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Like Dan said,it varies from company to company.

When i started driving i rang round for quotes on my mini which had a cage,some hung straight up as soon as the cage was mentioned and some didnt want a penny more.

#7 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

Ask your insurance. I know from experiance.

I went and fitted a rollcage to mine, when it came to insuring it, they said take it out. In their eyes it was a racing item not a safety feature.

#8 newdawn1st

newdawn1st

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

For another example, I have a cage in mine but doesn't affect insurance to much £280 Fully Comp, but then I have 6yrs NCD and I'm 28 :) NIG thru HIC

#9 greenlaner1

greenlaner1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

For another example, I have a cage in mine but doesn't affect insurance to much £280 Fully Comp, but then I have 6yrs NCD and I'm 28 :) NIG thru HIC

same :)

GL1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users