10 replies to this topic

#1 tanman

tanman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

hi all, had a bit off an accident in ruby last night, the road was greasy and i smashed into a signpost , anyway i can not get her started now, the fuel pump is not primeing and can not get a spark at the plugs, i've pressed the inertia switch back but that doesint seem to do anything, any ideas folks??? :P

#2 Minitrio

Minitrio

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

Sorry to hear about the crash. Whereabout's is all the damage?

#3 minicooper1.3i

minicooper1.3i

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local Club: na

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:39 PM

As you say it's not sparking, I assume it's de-immobilising properly and turning over ok?

I've found a simple way of testing if the pump is working ok in situ, but if you're not getting a spark either, then it would seem that you've got a more complex electrical fault.

More info please! :P Where the damage is? Exactly what happens when you try and start? etc....

#4 tanman

tanman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:07 PM

As you say it's not sparking, I assume it's de-immobilising properly and turning over ok?

I've found a simple way of testing if the pump is working ok in situ, but if you're not getting a spark either, then it would seem that you've got a more complex electrical fault.

More info please! :wub: Where the damage is? Exactly what happens when you try and start? etc....

not a great deal of damage, just a dented front bumber by the crank shaft sensor, maybe there is a fault there but how will i be able to test this specific sensor

#5 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Passenger side of the engine bay, next to two yellow relays there is an inertia switch, press that down. Sounds like you knocked that in the accident.

#6 tanman

tanman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Passenger side of the engine bay, next to two yellow relays there is an inertia switch, press that down. Sounds like you knocked that in the accident.

allready did that mate, i've tested the inertia and all the inline fuses and there fine , there's a few things which i can only think of now

1. Dodgy earth
2. knackered crank shaft sensor
3. main relay
4. ignition

#7 tanman

tanman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

allready did that mate, i've tested the inertia and all the inline fuses and there fine , there's a few things which i can only think of now

1. Dodgy earth
3. main relay
4. ignition

or a immoboliser fault? what would the immobiliser shut down? its a bog standard rover dude

#8 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

1. Dodgy earth
3. main relay
4. ignition

or a immoboliser fault? what would the immobiliser shut down? its a bog standard rover dude

You said the fuel pump is not priming? Are you sure? Just that if its not priming, then thats deffo the first thing you need to sort. No point in having a spark without any fuel.

I know you said you tried resetting the inertia switch, but I'd try bypassing it just in case its that. Seems too much of a co-incedence you having crashed and all. But that won't sort your no spark problem.

If it was just the crank sensor, then the pump will prime, but when you turn the key to crank it and the ECU gets no signal back from the crank sensor, it will not switch the pump back on, nor will it close the main relay to power the coil etc. I know 'cause my car wouldn't start due to a bad connection on the crank sensor connector.

BGB on here just sorted a problem on his Spi, same symptoms as yours (excluding the crash..) where it turned out one of the line fuses had a bad connection. Maybe one of yours that feeds the 12V for the relay module has gone in the crash?

Maybe you should also check that the damaged area hasn't broken the crank sensor (sticks out a fair bit in that region) or shorted / cut the wires coming off it. But like I said before, that doesn't explain the pump problem.

Good luck!

Craig

#9 tanman

tanman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

1. Dodgy earth
3. main relay
4. ignition

You said the fuel pump is not priming? Are you sure? Just that if its not priming, then thats deffo the first thing you need to sort. No point in having a spark without any fuel.

I know you said you tried resetting the inertia switch, but I'd try bypassing it just in case its that. Seems too much of a co-incedence you having crashed and all. But that won't sort your no spark problem.

If it was just the crank sensor, then the pump will prime, but when you turn the key to crank it and the ECU gets no signal back from the crank sensor, it will not switch the pump back on, nor will it close the main relay to power the coil etc. I know 'cause my car wouldn't start due to a bad connection on the crank sensor connector.

BGB on here just sorted a problem on his Spi, same symptoms as yours (excluding the crash..) where it turned out one of the line fuses had a bad connection. Maybe one of yours that feeds the 12V for the relay module has gone in the crash?

Maybe you should also check that the damaged area hasn't broken the crank sensor (sticks out a fair bit in that region) or shorted / cut the wires coming off it. But like I said before, that doesn't explain the pump problem.

Good luck!

Craig

just had a root around this afternoon, i'm getting 12v to the relay module, the fuel pump relay clicks in when i turn the ignition, theres a sound earth to the fuel pump relay, think its (black and pink) but when i test the outgoing side (brown and grey) there's no voltage which should supply the fuel pump, check for continuity between the relay and the inline fuse and its fine, would the main relay have something to do with this problem because it seems to have a poor resistance reading of 2.7 m ohms. any ideas anyone?

#10 tanman

tanman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

1. Dodgy earth
3. main relay
4. ignition

Good luck!

Craig

just had a root around this afternoon, i'm getting 12v to the relay module, the fuel pump relay clicks in when i turn the ignition, theres a sound earth to the fuel pump relay, think its (black and pink) but when i test the outgoing side (brown and grey) there's no voltage which should supply the fuel pump, check for continuity between the relay and the inline fuse and its fine, would the main relay have something to do with this problem because it seems to have a poor resistance reading of 2.7 m ohms. any ideas anyone?

FIXED!!!!!! after hours of investigaion turns out to be a dodgy inline fuse

#11 DaveRob

DaveRob

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

Well done on the fixing of your Mini mate...... can you please post up which inline fuse you had issues with and where its located. It helps everyone on the forum with clues when they have similar problems..... well done on the fix tho.

Cheers

Rob :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users