6 replies to this topic

#1 minisam1275

minisam1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

Hi I know this has probably been asked before.

I have a standard 1991 cooper carb 1275cc is it possible to convert this to Mpi and what components would I need to do this ? Any special tools?

Also approximately how much would this conversion cost to do if i do all the work myself? Is it difficult?

Any help much appreciated.

Sam

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

You need an MPi engine, the ECU and the whole wiring loom.

Why MPi? What apout SPi, much easier as everything will fit on your engine, but you would still need the SPi clutch and flywheel and engine loom

#3 minisam1275

minisam1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

do you not get better economy and power from an mpi than a spi or single hs4 carb

ok so if it is the whole engine im guessing its not cheap to do

Sam

#4 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:21 PM

its much the same between carbs and injection in terms of economy & power i find. as long as you regularly service and check over your mini it wont let you down, a carb'd mini is cheaper and easier to tune, fitting a stage 1 kit is a good way to go to boost the power a bit and get better economy but its important to get it setup on a proper rolling road.if you really want an mpi, you might as well buy an mpi mini as it would be a lot easier as there is quite a lot of mpi specific bits and pieces, although with mine i would say there is virtually no difference in fuel economy compared to a well setup 1275 carbd mini.

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

its much the same between carbs and injection in terms of economy & power i find. as long as you regularly service and check over your mini it wont let you down, a carb'd mini is cheaper and easier to tune, fitting a stage 1 kit is a good way to go to boost the power a bit and get better economy but its important to get it setup on a proper rolling road.if you really want an mpi, you might as well buy an mpi mini as it would be a lot easier as there is quite a lot of mpi specific bits and pieces, although with mine i would say there is virtually no difference in fuel economy compared to a well setup 1275 carbd mini.

How can tuning a carb engine be cheaper or easier than tuning an SPi??????............................

For a start, tuning the SPi does not require Rolling road tuning. Simply bolt the tuning parts on, and go for a drive to settle the ECU, thats not difficult is it, compared to a carb. The trick is to use the right parts, which is much the same as any carbed engine anyway.

so tell me, how is it cheaper???? :)

It all depends on how far you want to go with the tuning, and lets be honest, there are not that many high powered engines out there, well, not many well built ones, most could have greater potential if the choice of parts were suited.

#6 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hi I know this has probably been asked before.

I have a standard 1991 cooper carb 1275cc is it possible to convert this to Mpi and what components would I need to do this ? Any special tools?

Also approximately how much would this conversion cost to do if i do all the work myself? Is it difficult?

Any help much appreciated.

Sam

You'll also need the block as they run different cams and camshaft sensor thats mounted in the block

#7 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:47 PM

How can tuning a carb engine be cheaper or easier than tuning an SPi??????............................

For a start, tuning the SPi does not require Rolling road tuning. Simply bolt the tuning parts on, and go for a drive to settle the ECU, thats not difficult is it, compared to a carb. The trick is to use the right parts, which is much the same as any carbed engine anyway.

so tell me, how is it cheaper???? :wub:

It all depends on how far you want to go with the tuning, and lets be honest, there are not that many high powered engines out there, well, not many well built ones, most could have greater potential if the choice of parts were suited.

woops didnt think about that bit! was thinking more along the lines of carb vs mpi rather than carb vs spi, and from now on i'll think before i write. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users