13 replies to this topic

#1 oconnor

oconnor

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:09 AM

Hey all, I have searched forums and google... And I can't find any pics of a mini with 10's and sportpack arches. Can anyone post any here for me?

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

I think there actually might be someone on here that's posted a pic.

I (like most people) am not a fan of the look. Get some nice group 2 arches for your 10's, or if they're f*in wide, i.e. 7" and over, then miglia arches are nice (they can be cut down to whatever width you want..)
Sportspack arches are nice for 13" wheels, and that's about it.

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

there was a blue mini in miniworld about 2 years ago that had 10's and sportpacks, and although like Pavel i'm not keen on the look, it did look pretty damn good.

I'll see if I can find the pic, might take some time though!

#4 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:38 PM

Heres a pic fom an old magazine. I recon they look pucka but only with the wheels at least 6.5 inches wide. If not they tend to look lost by the arches.

Attached Files

#5 93rovermini

93rovermini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

go for the 13's you may loose some acceleration but you make up for it in looks

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:18 PM

go for the 13's you may loose some acceleration but you make up for it in looks

Why do you loose acceleration :teehee: ?????????...................

#7 marsden

marsden

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local Club: www.sheffcruise.co.uk

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:50 PM

bigger wheels take longer to get the same momentom as smaller wheels as theres a bigger wheel to turn :teehee:

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:52 PM

bigger wheels take longer to get the same momentom as smaller wheels as theres a bigger wheel to turn :teehee:

Ok so 13s are 505mm in diameter and 1587mm circumference, 10s are 485mm in diameter and 1524mm in circumference so a difference of 20mm diameter and 53mm circumference. Therefore over a mile 13s turn 1014 times and 10s turn 1056 times. this means that two cars, one on 10s and one on 13s were to be driven down the road the for 1014 revolutions of the wheel, the 13s would be ahead by 64 meters. if the 10s final drive was 3.2:1 then the 13s would require a final drive of 3.33:1 to achieve the same acceleration( closest being 3.4:1)

The difference is not great. If you are that bothered about the tiny difference in acceleration drop down one FD size

Now no one has mentioed standard 12s. these are larger again in diameter by 3mm

So the statement that 13s are bad for acceleration is some what rubbish and some what true :nugget:

And before any one states that I am crossing over the metric and imperial units don't miles are used for distance fine but I am metric and how many people on here work in kilometers, apart from those on the continent :nugget:

#9 ianbunyan

ianbunyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:07 PM

Aaahh... you seem to be the chap to ask... I don't like that my 998 'screams' at 75 mph. I'm running 10's and thought, "how can I stop this screaming?!" I thought a 5-speed gearbox was the answer, but did some research int othe cost and woosh, out went that idea! So can I change the FD cheaply to acheive a lower-rev'd top speed? I understand this till decrease acceleration from 0 mph. Will changing the FD significantly reduce the rev's at 70 mph? And will I have to change my speedo arrangement to tell the correct speed? SOOooo many questions! LOL :teehee: It's just that 4th gear starts at 22 mph for me! LOL - and takes me up to 80 mph (Sat Nav verified). Ta!

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:40 AM

to change the diff you will have to remove the engine but i dont think you have to split the engine from the box

and some one like speedy cables can sort out your speedo :smartass:

#11 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:13 AM

well ive just been playing with diffs and be assured this will cure you're prob ianbunyan. I was running a 1275 cooper engine on 10" wheels which was just over 3500 rpm at 70 (way to tall for me) so i changed to a 3.44 diff when be drop gears failled and now 70s about 4500 rpm and the aceleration is noticably faster. I know this is the opposite of your prob but if you changed to a 3.1 or oven a 2.7 diff you'd be able to cruse much easier.

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

Check this

http://rcmoc.org/bit...uff/Ratios.html

And this

http://www.geocities...1286/Sp...o.htm

In relation to this

http://www.minispare...=1&ss=24|speedo

For all your final drive/ speedo needs :smartass:

#13 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:33 PM

good stuff Mini Sprocket not seen any of those before, the rugby mini club one has been done by guessworks so its defo correct. Really handy too, means my speedo is about right :teehee:

#14 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:02 PM

13 inch wheels make you lose acceleration and braking not because of their size (total diameter with tyre).
They make you lose acceleration mostly due to the MUCH increased weight... the 2% or so that you lose from the rolling circumference is negligible!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users