18 replies to this topic

#1 aamir

aamir

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

hi im new at this whole car project thing, i have recently bought a mini austin which needs a lot of work, and i was wondering if i can put a VW VR6 engine into my mini.. can it be done? has it been done?

#2 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

Anything is possible

I am sure with fair bit of time and money. You can get it to fit, lets face it v8 minis exist so a vr6 engine shouldnt be too hard.

Ive seen 2 vr6 lumps in a lupo so this is thesable at the least

#3 aamir

aamir

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

Anything is possible

I am sure with fair bit of time and money. You can get it to fit, lets face it v8 minis exist so a vr6 engine shouldnt be too hard.

Ive seen 2 vr6 lumps in a lupo so this is thesable at the least

what sort of changes would i need to do to the mini's mechanical parts? what would i need to change for the vr6 to run well?

#4 Billy

Billy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:49 AM

you'd need to fab a frame and use the vw wiring basicaly remake everything at the engine end
and I cant see how that bulky lump would fit in the front of a mini as the vw box is about half as wide as the mini engine bay
but I have to ask why the vr6 its not that great or reliable infact its a bit like a k series for head gaskets Lol

#5 aamir

aamir

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

you'd need to fab a frame and use the vw wiring basicaly remake everything at the engine end
and I cant see how that bulky lump would fit in the front of a mini as the vw box is about half as wide as the mini engine bay
but I have to ask why the vr6 its not that great or reliable infact its a bit like a k series for head gaskets Lol

well i gt a vr6 engine sitting there and thought id make use of it .. but by the sounds of it.. im not sure anymore.. lol..

another question.. i want to change the body kit and the engine etc.. which would be the best place to start? body or mechanical ?

#6 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

mechanicle, might be best to hack off the front end and use a removable front of somesort, bearing in mind the clubman gives you slightly more room.

good idea so measure the dimensions of the engine, check to see where the drive shafts are and see if they could possibly align in the right part with the engine fitting within the engine bay

#7 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

well i gt a vr6 engine sitting there and thought id make use of it .. but by the sounds of it.. im not sure anymore.. lol..

another question.. i want to change the body kit and the engine etc.. which would be the best place to start? body or mechanical ?

We would like to have a play with one of these - if you want us to have a go let me know, or if you want to sell the engine give me a shout. :D

#8 aamir

aamir

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:43 AM

cheers mate.. however i dont have the clubman but an austin.. still possible?

#9 aamir

aamir

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

We would like to have a play with one of these - if you want us to have a go let me know, or if you want to sell the engine give me a shout. :D

yeh i wouldnt mind.. where would i have to bring the mini?

#10 GOD

GOD

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

dont waste your time they are to big and heavy go for something revy

#11 aamir

aamir

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

such as? has a vr6 ever been put in a mini?

#12 Billy

Billy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

such as? has a vr6 ever been put in a mini?

doubtful
have you seen the size of a mini engine bay ?
vr lump rammed into a mk2 golf
http://www.flickr.co...aby/2775322746/
and a mini bay
Posted Image
I personaly think the vr is too bulky and heavy for a mini but knock yourself out trying if you rekon its worthwhile

I'd rather a KR lump if vw was the source and thats way too wide witht the gearbox attached in my opinion after a quick measure up of my misses mk2 golf
Posted Image

dont forget even the dubber lot dont waste time on VR conversions now they use 20valve turbos for fun instead lighter , revvier and more power available :tumble:

#13 widerim_pickup

widerim_pickup

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Local Club: nope

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:59 AM

The 20 valve turbo is all well but doesnt quite have the sound of the vr6!!! mmmm

#14 Billy

Billy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

The 20 valve turbo is all well but doesnt quite have the sound of the vr6!!! mmmm

true but it can have a dump valve :tumble:
and hopefully its headgasket can cope :wub: and its not as bulky as a mini Lol

#15 Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Saxo-Fiesta-Mini

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

the 20v dont half shift did a service on one a few months back was insane normal then u hit 2.5k rpm and its was like someone pciked up the car and it started to run

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users