Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

Will be picking this beauty up this weekend C18XE Vauxhall engine

KGrHqQOKioE4rHBnd2GBOQ8M1ujpg_12.jpg

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#77 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Move to Vauxhall???? Done.... PM me (or report this post) if you want it moving elsewhere matey....

Welcome to the Dark side :D

#78 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

Think it's relevant to move this post to Vauxhall? Cheers Pal.

I was inspired by the Freak, and especially as VX engines are easier to get hold of. 1275+ engines are few and far between at a cheap price these days. Plus I needed more of a challenge :proud:

#79 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Yeah. Relevant. to be honest my FRK thread is full of normal engine stuff, then i decided to go VX and moved the whole thread over. :D

#80 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

Was concerned about the fit to be honest. I heard it's fairly difficult to squeeze a big block vx into a Mini. I think I will manage with a bit of cutting, plus I trial fitted the Fibre bonnet and pins last night. Seems to be a lot of clearance for the height of the engine!

Anyone know a good place for block hone/skim/bore in the North West preferrably??

#81 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

SDC11120.jpg

Hoping I don't have to do bonnet bulges >_<

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#82 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Your radiatior will be your issue. You'll probably find that you'll have to take out most of the slam panel....it really is easier to fit a GRP front end to be honest.

There's a few guys on 16v Minis that did a C20XE into a standard round nose, not sure how many of them kept it tin though.

Good luck with it. The C18XE is actually an OK engine, I was going to use one before going for the small block option.

#83 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

I was going to go down the c20xe route, I might aswell have done but I thought the prices were a bit hefty in comparison for a few more horses. Ill see what I can get out of the 1.8. Apparently I can fit an Astra GSI radiator in there, failing that I'm sure I could splash out for a custom one, or relocate? Worry about that later :D

I have been contemplating an alternative fronty but the front end has been replaced not long ago and looked after following a bump, maybe I will switch somewhere after the build. For all I know I could change my mind about the c18xe and sell it off for spares/parts, before fitting. I'm like that ;)

#84 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

IMG_0162.jpg

Mable, meet your new engine...

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#85 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Just spent today stripping the engine or its ancilleries - steering pump, starter motor, carb/inlet, exhaust manifold, gearbox and shafts.

Found out it's actually a C18XEL Does anyone know the difference? I have had a scout around but seem to get vague answers. Im thinking there is very little difference... :gimme:

Tomorrows job is order some 40x40x3/4mm box section, get a list of goodies for the engine and pur chase a gasket set...Is it worth getting steel??

Oh yeah, if the neighbours arent in I may do some chopping of inner wings and get my engine hoist!

Edited by Stupot_1982, 08 October 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#86 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

40 by 40 mm box section is a bit overkill to make a sub frame from. 30 by 30 by 3 mm box section is adequate. Just thought I would point it out to save you a bit of weight and give you the extra 10 mm here and there. Trust me you will need it fitting a large block. A small block is tight enough.

Good luck with the project

#87 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the info dude I will get searching. I'm gona see what fleabay has to offer failing that, check out the locals. Small update, cut out the inner wings and the engine hoist is up, suspending the engine. Next job is to mount original front subby to see where I go from there.

(Lots of head scratching probably!)

#88 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Bought a goodie today, bargain...

IMG-20111101-00025.jpg

It's a Yamaha R1 ITB for all who don't know =] Least that's what he told me

Edited by Stupot_1982, 03 November 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#89 Stupot_1982

Stupot_1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

I plan on keeping the front standard (steel) but I haven't seen any similar threads. Does anyone know how the heck I build the subframe at the front to bolt to the shell. I have bought ali tear mounts thinking I could incorporate them for minimum flex. Not sure how to bolt the frame to them and would that be strong enough.

Otherwise should I be bolting the frame directly to the shell. The shell seems VERY flexible since I removed the inner wings. Hope this makes sense and i'm not being stupid here! Can anyone guide me into the light?
Posted Image!

#90 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Build your frame around the existing one and then cut out the bits of the old frame that get in the way of the Vauxhall engine. My frame is bolted in via the tower mounts and solid floor mounts. Most people weld in floor strengthening plates or tie the frame into the roll cage. Also brace bars are usually added to connect the frame to the inner wings. My frame is rock solid and doesn't seem to flex at all. I have made floor mounts that tie in with the roll cage and have brace bars that bolt to what is left of the inner wings. My inner wings are reinforced too.

have a look at Birdman on the 16v mini club. He has kept a steel front end and has fitted a redtop to a mini.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users