#1 dickster

dickster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hi,

Having recently re-kindled my interest in my 1995 SPi Cooper I thought I'd check it over with a view to using it more, after sitting for a couple of months I noticed that the car would lose power and stall everytime I pulled up to a junction and pressed the clutch-something it never used to do. In fact I noticed that this only happened when the engine had reached operating temperture and I could get it to stall when testing it at stand-still.

So having replaced the vacuum hoses (all except the yellow hose) and blowing through the fuel trap I tried it again and it didn't stall but was running really lumpy, having tried my spark plug testers it seemed that all four cylinders were getting a spark so I took it out on road test where I noticed that it was running really rough-again very lumpy and a complete lack of power.

When I returned home I removed the spark plugs, all were covered in a black soot indicating it was running rich, fortunately I had a new set of plugs (the correct flavour) and a new dizzy cap and rotor arm to replace the grotty old cap, all fitted and it fired up ok with none of the previous lumpyness and a road test showed the power was back to normal. I also removed the ECU and placed it against a hot water pipe to our domestic boiler but I couldn't for the life of me get any cotton wool buds into the MAP sensor port so I left it anyway but nothing came out. The temperature guage sits somewhere between the little white dot and the halfway mark so that would indicate that the coolant temp sensoe is ok wouldn't it?

My main problem now is that when I was testing it by 'blipping' the throttle it would rev and rev then I'd get a back-fire in the inlet manifold, do you think that the car might be running too rich as per the sooty spark plugs? or could it something else like a timing issue? am I right in saying a back-fire in the inlet only occurs because the valves aren't opening/closing at the right time creating a point where unburnt fuel in the inlet is ignited when the inlet valve is open slightly when it shouln't be? or does 'blipping' the throttle generally cause the odd back-fire?

Thanks for any forthcoming help.

Edited by dickster, 12 July 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#2 THE STIG

THE STIG

Da stig says, GO GO GO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

mixture is controlled by euc via lamda(oxigen) sensor in the exhaust sounds like thats at fault

had same problem with friends running really rough and very rich changed lamba sensor was fine after that

Edited by THE STIG, 12 July 2009 - 06:38 PM.

#3 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

I have the same problem with my 93 cooper spi,replaced lamda sensor,CAT,capillery tubes,fuel trap,coolant temp sensor,air tem sensor and it is still running rich,bloody minis

#4 captain kirk

captain kirk

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Mines ill at the moment,will not run when its warm,just keeps stalling,runs fine all the time its cold,i think its the lambda sensor thats goosed, happy days.

#5 nate09565

nate09565

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:52 AM

I realize this thread is a bit old, but thought I would add a responce anyway.

I had similar issues you all have presented, and replaced all the sensors you all had noted, and I still had stalling when warm.

I was able to resolve mine by removing the crank sensor, spraying it off with some carb cleaner and putting it back in. Mine was covered in rusty gunky oily residue of some sort.

Anyway, this resolved my issue, and hopefully be of some help. Removing the crank sensor is literally 2 screws so its worth a try.

#6 thedesigner

thedesigner

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

hello!!!
i have the same problem...hesitation when accelerate from idle quickly and....wrooom...wrooom....BUUM!! a backfire in the inlet manifold..
the fuel trap is old but the vacuum cables are new.
i have spray the crankshaft sensor with the WD40 and refit it...but don't resolve the problem...

have I air leak in inlet manifold? possible? what do i do to check it?

#7 thedesigner

thedesigner

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

can anyone help me please? i haven't find the solution anywhere in this forum... can you show me some links where i can find some information?

#8 The_Mistro

The_Mistro

Farmer Barley Mow

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

mine started doing this when i fitted an induction kit, i have put it down to the seals being crap that came with the kit, bypassing the sensor that would be in the air box, messing the fueling up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users