67 replies to this topic

#1 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

first off i am sorry for another insurance thread if you don't like it please don't read on... but i am in a very sticky wicket and need some help

Today my mum rang round a few insurance companies looking for quotes, to be honest i think that was the first mistake as she knows nothing of my car.

a bit about myself:

Name: fire_monkey..... tis all you need to know :(
Yearly earning: 8K per annum after tax
Hobbies: the mini naturally, scuba diving and volleyball

a bit about the car:

Make: mini 1000
Year: 1990
Colour: non standard (black and white)
Performance mods: None, engine is completely standard just as the day it rolled out of the factory!

Mods (third mistake perhaps)

-one piece fiber glass front end
-13X7 deep dish wheels
- 2X JBL 70 watt speakers
-2X JBL 30 watt speaker
-DXR 1000W amp
-boot lining
-2X classic bucket seats
-4x door non standard door cards
-chrome door handles
-centre console
-13" sport steering wheel
-4 aux clocks in the dash
-checker plate dash
-bullet wing mirrors
-chrome wiper kit
-2X cooper stripes
-2X rally numbers
-1X john cooper signature badge

the insurance company’s my mum tried

- Churchill: won't even touch me, even when she tried under both her name and my dads

- NIG: same story as Churchill :(

- Adrian Flux: 2229 quid third party fire and theft only insured on my own name :(

she tried a few more places online but they right out would not accept me. my mum told me the only options i have are A) pay it myself unless i can find it cheaper B) finish the mini and sell it on C) put it in the garage for a year

now B and C make me feel sick just to think about doing that... she said this to me and I just told her "how would you like to put your child away for a year and just sell it on!!!!"

so this weekend i am planning on ringing as many places as possible and not calling the car modified but "restored". Has anyone else got any tips or perhaps a few companies’ you would recommend me trying?

sorry for such a long post but i really need some help here

Edited by Fire_monkey, 16 July 2009 - 04:20 PM.

#2 scoticus

scoticus

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

its a bit daft, and you get into a wee bit of bother if your caught, dont declear the mods... just say its a bog standard mini...

all the "extras" you have on your car give the insurance companies an excuse to charge you rediculas amounts....

im 18 ....i have a 1977 mk3/4 998.... im only paying 1200 a year.... but unlike you it isnt (that) modified.. the only thing i have changed is the steering wheel, and carb...

but, like i said at the top, do this at your own risk.... it brings the price down, but could render your car un-insured if you was to crash.. or have to claim

hope this helps

Scott

:(

#3 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

try footman james
quinn direct

churchill dont tend to insure younger drivers until they've had a year or so no claims not sure on that though

do a go compare
or compare the market online jobby

#4 peepzy

peepzy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: fastcarcentral.co.uk

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

dont claim things that are easliy replaced... not that im saying you will crash... i hope you dont... but insurance wise...

#5 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

Go through footman james. Im 19 now but at 18 I got a 998 stg 1 for over £400 with mods delcared (suspension, wheels). Thats on a classic policy so you get no NCB but they wouldn't count for much until your 21 anyway (said the woman from post office insurance). You can only go with FJ on a classic policy if your under 25.

Paul.

#6 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

okay so what i am thinking is not decler some things such as the door cards, the amp, the 4 inch speakers, boot lining center console.

so things that will be cheap to replace or things i could take out quickly in the event of a crash.

#7 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

im 16, nearly 17, and have a 1992 mini 1000 which i restored for my 1st car, and while restoring, i put in a few extras, like a stage 1 kit, probs a mistake, and supalite alloys and non standard decals, steerin wheel, seats etc, the usual, and the insurance for the mini with mods is a grand per year more than without mods!! so im gonna say its standard, like youre considerin, which brings it to jus over a grand with direct line, not bad. im confident about being able to control and not crash, as i have grass tracked minis for years!!

#8 Pauly

Pauly

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,213 posts
  • Local Club: Just 4 Fun Minis!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

If your not going to declare mods, especialy stage 1 kits then theres no point in having insurance at all, the moment the insurance have a glimpse at your car they will make your insurance void, and if the worsed happens they are going to want to see the damage.

They will go over it with a fine tooth comb, especially as your a young driver. Not worth the risk IMO.

Paul.

Edited by Pauly, 16 July 2009 - 06:50 PM.

#9 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

thanks man, i understand what your saying but no where have i said that i have a stage one kit or intend to fit one, and the only "performance" enhancers i will be declaring.

#10 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

first off i am sorry for another insurance thread if you don't like it please don't read on... but i am in a very sticky wicket and need some help

Today my mum rang round a few insurance companies looking for quotes, to be honest i think that was the first mistake as she knows nothing of my car.

a bit about myself:

Name: fire_monkey..... tis all you need to know :o
Yearly earning: 8K per annum after tax
Hobbies: the mini naturally, scuba diving and volleyball

a bit about the car:

Make: mini 1000
Year: 1990
Colour: non standard (black and white)
Performance mods: None, engine is completely standard just as the day it rolled out of the factory!

Mods (third mistake perhaps)

-one piece fiber glass front end
-13X7 deep dish wheels
- 2X JBL 70 watt speakers
-2X JBL 30 watt speaker
-DXR 1000W amp
-boot lining
-2X classic bucket seats
-4x door non standard door cards
-chrome door handles
-centre console
-13" sport steering wheel
-4 aux clocks in the dash
-checker plate dash
-bullet wing mirrors
-chrome wiper kit
-2X cooper stripes
-2X rally numbers
-1X john cooper signature badge

the insurance company’s my mum tried

- Churchill: won't even touch me, even when she tried under both her name and my dads

- NIG: same story as Churchill :P

- Adrian Flux: 2229 quid third party fire and theft only insured on my own name :)

she tried a few more places online but they right out would not accept me. my mum told me the only options i have are A) pay it myself unless i can find it cheaper B) finish the mini and sell it on C) put it in the garage for a year

now B and C make me feel sick just to think about doing that... she said this to me and I just told her "how would you like to put your child away for a year and just sell it on!!!!"

so this weekend i am planning on ringing as many places as possible and not calling the car modified but "restored". Has anyone else got any tips or perhaps a few companies’ you would recommend me trying?

sorry for such a long post but i really need some help here

try confused .com may not cover modification though..

#11 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

yer what i have found with getting a quote over the net is that they only allow 5 or so mods... any more and you have to call up.

looks like i will be spending my weekend on the phone... how fun :P

#12 1275 SPRITE

1275 SPRITE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

confused.com does cover mods...
thats where i got mine insured through. Cheapest i got was through auto trader insurance. Declared "most" mods, including engine bored to 1293, air filter, exhaust manifold, straight through exhaust, bucket seats, suspension mods (lowered), alloys, wide arches etc
cost me £1400 at 18 with 1 years no claims.
in my first year of driving it was standard 1275 and was £1800 at 17 with admiral.
hope this helps

#13 Fire_monkey

Fire_monkey

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

i'll give confused a go :P

#14 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

Pauly is correct in what he says. Declare all the mods to the insurance company. My son insured his mk1 with Footman James, mods were 1100 engine, LCB and Rc40 back box, front disc and mk 2 fiesta caliper conversion. They increased his premium by about £400 because of the engine but were uninterested in any of the other mods. He is 17, just passed test and payed £1130 in the end. If you decide to use them, speak to them on the phone, don't lie and declare everything or as Pauly says, in the event of a claim you may find you have no cover.

#15 Ru55boy

Ru55boy

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

From what you've listed the only mods most insurance companies would want to know about are the Front End, the seats, and maybe the wheels.
I'm with Peter Best Ins and when I told them what I had done to my mini they said the main cause for concern was the fibreglass front end.

Think very carefully about not declaring mods. If you don't, and they find out when you crash, you will have all sorts of problems and you will regret it big time. Crashing is way more likely when you are 17, fact, and thats why your insurance premium is so high - its all based on statistics.

I apologise in advance to Miniman24 for sounding patronising, but DO NOT take the advice of a 16 year old suggesting you don't declare mods. His belief that he won't crash because he races grasstrack is precisely why so many young people have accidents. You have quicker reflexes but lack restraint and experience of potential hazards.

Or you could listen to me, a 37 yr old Policeman who also races.

Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users