8 replies to this topic

#1 Komenda

Komenda

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

Hopefully a simple one (although I can't figure it out)

I have fitted a Smiths Oil pressure gauge to my mpi. I have the gauge connected to a Goodridge braided oil hose, a T piece to connect both the pressure switch for the dash and the new gauge but.

I purchased a male/male connector for the goodridge hose, this however has a different thread on each side.

Posted Image

This is the T piece

Posted Image

this needs to go into this T piece along with the existing pressure sender. I can't however get them to fit in any combination. Does anyone know of any other part I need or where I can buy the correct union.

Thanks

#2 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Local Club: does here count :)

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

I think if i remember correct when i was looking at fitting an oil pressure gauge to my mpi I was unable to find a t piece to accomidate the sender and the braided hose.

I just binned the sender and used the gauge as it will tell you far more than the little "light" on the dash.

Mike

#3 Komenda

Komenda

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

I think if i remember correct when i was looking at fitting an oil pressure gauge to my mpi I was unable to find a t piece to accomidate the sender and the braided hose.

I just binned the sender and used the gauge as it will tell you far more than the little "light" on the dash.

Mike

Cheers, I may do that then. I will be binning the ECU soon so I can just make the sender redundant. I much prefer a mechanical gauge especially on a tuned engine

#4 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

Cheers, I may do that then. I will be binning the ECU soon so I can just make the sender redundant. I much prefer a mechanical gauge especially on a tuned engine

How you going to manage that with an MPi unit???

#5 L400RAS

L400RAS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Local Club: Lincolnshire Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hi Komenda,

You do not need the silver adapter if you wish to retain the oil pressure light in the dash. The silver adapter is meant to screw directly into the block, then the pipe to it.

How i have plumbed mine in is:

Remove original sender
screw in T piece ( like what you have got)
screw sender into END of T piece.
Then screw one of these into the SIDE of the T piece:
Posted Image from minispares.. etc
Then the pipe to the small adapter

HTH
Ryan.

Edited by L400RAS, 18 July 2009 - 02:07 PM.

#6 Komenda

Komenda

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

A Canems ECU, I've spoken to the guys there and they do a loom kit ready to connect to the engine, all you need extra is an trigger wheel. The ECU handles ignition and fuelling with the option of adding extra injectors for supercharger etc.

#7 mykweb

mykweb

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

A Canems ECU, I've spoken to the guys there and they do a loom kit ready to connect to the engine, all you need extra is an trigger wheel. The ECU handles ignition and fuelling with the option of adding extra injectors for supercharger etc.

Ahh I see I thought you were going to do away with the ECU all together and not replace it with anything. I was interested to find out how :teehee:

Just the only really sensible routes for tuning the MPi involve getting a new ECu which is $$$$$ >_<

Mike

#8 Komenda

Komenda

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:35 PM

Hi Komenda,

You do not need the silver adapter if you wish to retain the oil pressure light in the dash. The silver adapter is meant to screw directly into the block, then the pipe to it.

Posted Image from minispares... etc
Then the pipe to the small adapter

HTH
Ryan.

That looks better than the union I have, Cheers.

#9 Komenda

Komenda

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

Ahh I see I thought you were going to do away with the ECU all together and not replace it with anything. I was interested to find out how :angel:

Just the only really sensible routes for tuning the MPi involve getting a new ECu which is $$$$$ :teehee:

Mike

Its the rolling road cost I'm not looking forward to >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users