6 replies to this topic

#1 bartmag79

bartmag79

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

Hi all. Not sure whether this is MPi specific but my car is an Mpi. Instead of my water having a nice Blue colour to it because of coolant it has a brown colour because of rust. Anyone got any ideas of what could be causing this and how to sort it.

Ben

#2 sidney

sidney

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

mini blocks are made of iron and because of this they rust in the water galleys, if it worries you, you can flush all the coolant out the system by taking the hoses off and runnign a hose through it.

to be honest its no problem and if you have no cooling problems leave it, the only thing that it sometimes does after a few years is stops the water flowing properly through the heater so not letting them warm up much but again this is eaisly fixed by taking the hoses off and pushing water through it the wrong way to disloge it all.

#3 bartmag79

bartmag79

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thats for that. Thats a releif. The car has been running perfectly to be honest so I will probably just leave it

Cheers
Ben

#4 Nelson92

Nelson92

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

you can buy coolant with a rust inhibitor in it; flush the system out as said above, and then top up with one that's got anti rust. They're not expensive and it's good to know the block is clean inside.

#5 MiniBonkerz

MiniBonkerz

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

mines the same but not touched it as its working fine :thumbsup:

#6 1275 sprint

1275 sprint

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Local Club: milton keynes

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hi best thing to do is completly flush the system with hose pipe including backflush the heater matrix ,then what i do is refill half green/blue antifreeze then half deionised/de minerelised water that way your cooling system will be in tip top condition .green/blue antifreeze only has a 2-3 year life and red has a 5 year life but thats for cars with alloy engines/ head/rads.you don want murcky brown stuff cloging up your waterways so i would change ,reason for the deionised water is that it doesnt scale up like tap water does and its not expensive .steve

Edited by 1275 sprint, 21 July 2009 - 04:17 PM.

#7 Dylan8660

Dylan8660

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Agree with sprint, If you live in a hard water area flush it out and refill with mineral water, even the cheap stuff from the local supermarket or evian if your feeling flash as scale will build up and seize up bits like the heater tap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users