1 reply to this topic

#1 mr.x

mr.x

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

This is an issue that I can't seem to figure out. When I cold start the car, after sitting for 12-24 hours, the engine stumbles and sounds like it is running on 2 or 3 cylinders for about 15-25 seconds, or until the fuel pedal is depressed. After a press of the fuel or waiting for 15-25 seconds, the engine idles fine. Sometimes the engine will die and need to be re-started if I don't do anything and let it correct itself. Hot or warm starts are just fine. No issues. Waiting for 48 hours or more between starts are also just fine, no issues. If I jump in and drive the car while it is warming up, the engine seems to stick at high RPM's (like 2000-3000 range). It delays coming down to like 1200 RPM's at normal idle until it is warm. Not sure if this an issue or not. I've known other cars that do this.

I hooked my ACR4 onto the car and the only re-appearing code (after clearing many times) is a fuel pump relay or related wiring code. I can't find anything wrong with the relay or the wiring.

What is going on and how do I fix it?

#2 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

mine does a similar thing with cold starts. first start of the day and it stumbles for a while but then recovers to its usual warmup idle speed. I have given up trying to sort it out. First I changed my fuel filter, then coil pack/wires/plugs, then IACV and finally the coolant temp sensor. but the problem still exists.

Occasionally my idle would stay high like you mentioned but I discovered that the plastic butterfly was sticking slightly inside the throttle body so I fixed it with some fine sand paper (off the car).

The fuel pump relay/purge valve/mil lamp error I had for a while but after spraying the inside of the purge valve with some carb cleaner the error went away.

Edited by elvisthepizzaman, 25 July 2009 - 11:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users