7 replies to this topic

#1 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

First good news: Mini is street-legal now and is officially allowed to go on the roads!

But during the rides today there is a kind of metal clashing and I cannot figure out where this is coming from.
This sound is also present in the movie of a black mini with the Hayabusa that Chris built in a couples days and did some donuts with it (spinning) the sound is there from the moment he drives off... It is 100% identical to that same sound.

The movie can be viewed/downloaded at this page. It is the movie at the bottom with the black mini. During this movie, from 0.44min (44seconds) this sound can be heard all the time from the moment he stopped spinning around and drove off until the sound stops.

Click on this line to download the posted WMV movie and you will hear the sound from 44seconds.

I have checked the brake discs, brake pads and chain but this all looks new after driving 20km (no damages at all). Uhm, I almost forgot that I also fully packed the limited diff with grease (Chris advised to fully pack it).

Who can tell me what this is how it can be solved. It is pretty annoying.

#2 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

First good news: Mini is street-legal now and is officially allowed to go on the roads!

But during the rides today there is a kind of metal clashing and I cannot figure out where this is coming from.
This sound is also present in the movie of a black mini with the Hayabusa that Chris built in a couples days and did some donuts with it (spinning) the sound is there from the moment he drives off... It is 100% identical to that same sound.

The movie can be viewed/downloaded at this page. It is the movie at the bottom with the black mini. During this movie, from 0.44min (44seconds) this sound can be heard all the time from the moment he stopped spinning around and drove off until the sound stops.

Click on this line to download the posted WMV movie and you will hear the sound from 44seconds.

I have checked the brake discs, brake pads and chain but this all looks new after driving 20km (no damages at all). Uhm, I almost forgot that I also fully packed the limited diff with grease (Chris advised to fully pack it).

Who can tell me what this is how it can be solved. It is pretty annoying.

My R1 had that noise same as the black mini, it was the reverse gear wheel rubbing on something. Sorted it out with a grinder.

#3 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

Yep, this morning I put the rear on axel stands and turned the wheels to be able to hear the same noise again. It was indeed the holder for the reverse gear itself (metal bracket on which the gear is welded).

Lol, I had the same idea about using the grinding and sorted it out. Now almost 30% of the gearholder isn't 2mm thick anymore but 0.4mm, just to give it just 0.5mm clearance between the gearholder and the diff-frame.

Sorry, but I have to write my thought and opinion down (maybe Chris can do something about it with other kits): why are they making such a fault with the reverse kit? They should know the correct tolerances and these parts should have at least 0.5mm or even 1mm overall clearance and not 50% of the reverse gear having almost 1mm clearance and 50% constant rubbing the frame on which the complete diff is bolted.... Why such a mistake with a product that is not cheap at all? Sorry, but this how I think about this and after having many other problems with it.

#4 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

I think you may have the early starter ring gear with the timing index ring for the crank sensor. The later ones supplied have the ring removed.

#5 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

ok koss will be right about that i think
the early system of chain adjuster had a U shaped box section arrangement which was tight in the tolerances both on the ring gear timing section and on the pinion engagement from the starter motor
the noise on the dvd is the pinion shaft just catching on the ring gear which was solved by fitting 3 washers in between the starter and the mounting plate in effect moving it away from the ring gear by 1 mm
we now remove the timing ring from the ring gear as well so sorry for the problems you had
chris

#6 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hi Chris,

Sorry for my 'opinion'. Is it possible to completely remove the 'unused' ring by grinding it off? It looks like it does not have any function at all... Ok, now it has the function for making annoying noise.
This is the only thing that is touching the frame (where the reverse sprocket and chain sprocket are placed in between)...

Thanks, Patrick

ps: does anyone know a way to keep full-power on the reverse motor? Currently I am running a Varta RedTop 30 battery and the first rotation goes fine, but the others are slower until is does not move anymore...

#7 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:26 AM

you can remove the ring completly
how big is the cable to your reverse
sounds as though you may have voltage drop by using too small a cable ?
chris

#8 Poly_Patje

Poly_Patje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hi Chris,

I am using a 16mm2 cable. This one is even thicker then the one supplied with the kit.
When the wheels are from the floor (on axelstands) then the reverse does not have any problem of getting the wheels into movement and keeps a steady turning speed. The thing I do not know yet, is how long a RedTop30 battery will last. This because a YellowTop will go bad quicker (within a year with lots of audio in the car).

Thanks, Patrick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users