49 replies to this topic

#16 Kernal H

Kernal H

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

Arn't falkens slippery in the wet? I've managed to make my front tires (A008) on my mini last all of 4000 ish miles. Went on last may, mini was off the road september to June and now I need a new pair!

#17 minidan

minidan

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

Arn't falkens slippery in the wet?

i had a set of 165/60/12 falkens and i thought they were dangerous in the wet. my mini would have no grip in the corners, it would just understeer straight on at times.

swapped to Yoko a539's all round and the difference is huge! full grip in wet and dry. fantastic tyre.

#18 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts
  • Local Club: J19 Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

A032r's will be out by next March because of sound testing. They might be able to sell them still, but for 'track use only'. This meaning they are legal on the road but illegal to sell for road use. Silly idea I know, but this is England!

A008, well I'm not too sure about. I was told yesterday at IMM that they are out for a while, maybe out permanent.

Edited by digi-cars.piczo.com, 09 August 2009 - 11:40 AM.

#19 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

Arn't falkens slippery in the wet?

i had a set of 165/60/12 falkens and i thought they were dangerous in the wet. my mini would have no grip in the corners, it would just understeer straight on at times.

swapped to Yoko a539's all round and the difference is huge! full grip in wet and dry. fantastic tyre.

Are you talking about race use?
Because if you having this kinda problem on road, where you turn at low speeds, you may have some problems with tracking and caster settings.
You dont have understeer with the yokos because their massive grip cures the lack in the geometry settings, but you will see the tyre wearing very fast, while the A539 is a very long lasting tyre if the suspension setup is correct.

#20 Prawn

Prawn

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

A032r's will be out by next March because of sound testing. They might be able to sell them still, but for 'track use only'. This meaning they are legal on the road but illegal to sell for road use. Silly idea I know, but this is England!

What do you mean out because of sound testing? surely they're not going to stop making the 32R's! they're THE best mini tyre available.

Personally, I've never REALLY rated A008's as highly as others. sure, they're OK, and better than the older gen falkens, but the newer falkens are fairly good, and both the 008's and falkens are not a patch on the 32R's at all.

#21 Racer_Pete

Racer_Pete

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

I had Falkens on my old race mini, and they where useless in the wet but excellent in the dry, For me its A008's all day.

#22 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

What do you mean out because of sound testing? surely they're not going to stop making the 32R's! they're THE best mini tyre available.

Personally, I've never REALLY rated A008's as highly as others. sure, they're OK, and better than the older gen falkens, but the newer falkens are fairly good, and both the 008's and falkens are not a patch on the 32R's at all.

What I mean by 'out', is out of production. Or atleast not allowed to be sold for UK roads because of sound testing. They don't pass the sound tests, so won't have the 'S' mark on that tyres will need next year. Because obviously the tyre noise makes a huge difference when you've got a Webber and sports exhaust doesn't it :D...
But what I have been told is they will still be in production, but retailers can't sell them for road use. They can sell them for track use only. BUT, they won't actually be illegal for road use as they are still E marked!
Don't we just love these rules and regulations of this country! :dontgetit:

#23 1293sleeper

1293sleeper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Local Club: i'll just stick with TMF

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

i had a full set of never fitted A008s till this weekend wish i had know they were hard to get hold of before i would of asked for more money for them. oh well.

#24 nicksuth

nicksuth

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

The Eurpoean Union come up with these crazy rules about the maximum bend in Bananas, max length of carrots, etc. etc. and now they've surpassed themselves coming up with "noise" standards for car tyres, what the hell !!! The French, Belgian and German's must be laughing their F-heads off at us, as soon as the EU come up with a "directive" the UK make it "legislation".

Noise standards for tyres "my arse" :dontgetit:

What about all the Chelsea Tractor Tyres ?

#25 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

The Eurpoean Union come up with these crazy rules about the maximum bend in Bananas, max length of carrots, etc. etc. and now they've surpassed themselves coming up with "noise" standards for car tyres, what the hell !!! The French, Belgian and German's must be laughing their F-heads off at us, as soon as the EU come up with a "directive" the UK make it "legislation".

Noise standards for tyres "my arse" :dontgetit:

What about all the Chelsea Tractor Tyres ?

im struggling to get A539's from my tyre supplier at the moment, and they won't take any tyres back if they dont have the new markings. Im screwed if the customer who has ordered new tyres for his 22 inch rims cancels, im stuck with 4 tyres worth £1800!

#26 Burnard

Burnard

4 gears good........... .......................5 gears Better

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Ok, now im just confused.

Is it worth getting 10inch wheels now? Its begining to sound like i wont be able to get tyres for them when i need a new set in the future.

Chris

#27 Kernal H

Kernal H

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Ok, now im just confused.

Is it worth getting 10inch wheels now? Its begining to sound like i wont be able to get tyres for them when i need a new set in the future.

Chris

My thoughts exactly... just after I've spent money on upgrading to 7.5" S setup so I can keep my wheels! :D

#28 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

Bit of a PITA isnt it.

Has anyone thought to phone yokohoma and find out whats going on exactly?

Chris

#29 mini-man-dan

mini-man-dan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

I'm sure someone will come out with a good performance 10" tyre, there will be a gaping hole in the market for them!

Edited by digi-cars.piczo.com, 09 August 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#30 Burnard

Burnard

• Banned
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

gaping hole?

arnt mini's the only cars that still use them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users