Photo

Stage 3 Mini Mpi Problems,injection Wizards Plz Help!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Owners Club of WA

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hi all, some of you may remember a few running problems i had a while back. First off ill give you the spec of my engine so we know what we are dealing with...

1998 MPI rebuilt with MED stage 3 head
swi05 cam timed to 107 degrees
1.5 rollers
52mm throttle body
KN induction kit
Maniflow LCB
Gas flowed maniflod (opened out slightly)
Fuel pressure regulator
New plugs etc

So basically from the first time i took it for a drive ive been having this same issue. At over 3000rpm is splutters and does not have any more power.
It feels like it is running lean hence i fitted the pressure regulator, but no difference.(set at 38psi) Nick from here has helped me with a few settings, but still no difference (thanx Nick)
In 1st gear, just over 3000rpm, its spluttering, in 2nd the same, in 3rd i have no power from really low down and 4th is the same.
Car idles fine and everything seems normal. Ive had it run through a computer (not running at the time) and everything came back ok.
One thing i noticed this morning, my oil temp clock. From i fitted the clock it has never moved over 50.In fact it has never moved at all.
So i disconnected the plug from the sensor and stuck a tester in there and it glows up but only very dim (ive no volt meter yet)

I highly doubt it but would this be a problem and could it be linked to my bad running??
Does the ECU need oil temp to control fueling? Or maybe this sensor only needs a small amount of power as it is only reading.

I have been told the SW5i might be the problem and the timing maybe out?? (heard stories you need to set this cam by trial and error)

Im getting to the stage now where im just p*ssed of beyond belief. I have 1 more show this season i want to make but at this rate im not sure.
Really any help would be seriously appreciated. Can you see im desperate!!

Edited by tony kenobi, 09 August 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#2 nicksuth

nicksuth

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Bloody Hell TK, still no joy eh? I told you it was a Monster !!!

I really thought it would have been a fueling issue but if you've got it up to 38 psi then I'm starting to doubt it? However, I would give it one more try at a lttle higher, i.e. 3 bar (42 psi) which should be the maximum the pump can deliver? I have now tweaked mine up a bit moe and currently running at 2.8 bar at tick-over.

Regarding the oil temperatue sensor, just check that the connections have not been crossed ovr with the oil pressure switch as they are the same connector type. Mine was wrong way round when I bought mine and as soon as I swapped them over it was okay. From memory, one is brown and the other is black and think the black was pressure? (check your manual).

Does your cam have the extra ring for the cam sensor to read from?

Have you checked your water temperature sensor, just wondering if it's dodgy and your running in "limp home" mode?

What about your lambda sensor, is it okay?

Can you not find someone who has equipment to check it while it's running, i.e. under load conditons?

Might be worth trailering it over to mainland UK to Minispares or someone with the gear?

Keep the faith old son, remember it's a "MINI" (i.e. it's a FEMALE !!)

Good Luck - Nick

PS - might be worth talking to Dave (Icklemini) - drop him a PM he certainly helped me out.

#3 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hey Nick, monster thats for sure.

Ive the pressure reg turned so high its starting to make a whinning noise, not good so ive turned it down slightly.
Its really starting to drive me insane. The guy who helped me out with the computer before will hopefully have time to come for a spin and see if he can read anything unusual.
The wires are the correct way round, just made sure not 10mins ago.
Im gonna take it for another spin up the road now and see if i can feel anything i havent before.
Regarding the cam, im near sure it did, i never really checked, just assumed it was correct as it was brand new from Swiftune.

#4 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

If your getting a "whining" noise it sounds like you have air trapped in the system? It should only do that when you first set it up? Maybe you could try a bleed of the system some how, maybe via the pressure gauge connection? I would make sure you only do this when the engine is cold as it may spray around a bit?

One other thing, Dave found that my accelerator pedal was slightly bent and was not giving full opening of the butterfly when pressed to floor, just needs a bit of a brute force tweak :dontgetit:

#5 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, im gonna try a bleed now, for some reason now tho, my fan is coming on straight from turning the key, never happened before.

#6 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, im gonna try a bleed now, for some reason now tho, my fan is coming on straight from turning the key, never happened before.

That's a definite symptom of "open circuit", i.e. temperature sensure FUBARD'd - try a new one or check that your connections are all good - didn't you fit the loom extension mod to this sometime ago?

#7 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

Nope, still standard loom. I fitted a new water sensor about 3 months ago, only did 10 miles on it,lol

#8 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

Nope, still standard loom. I fitted a new water sensor about 3 months ago, only did 10 miles on it,lol

If the fan is on all the time then it's in "limp home" mode and will run *melon* at top end, this may be your problem? If the sensor is new though I would check that you have not got a dodgy connection in the circuit?

#9 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Ah, its off now, i just left it for a while, doesnt help starting it with the connection disconnected.
So fan is back to normal.

#10 nicksuth

nicksuth

• Noobies
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

If it's a dodgy connection (on/off/on/off) then I guess it would cause the ECU to run in "limp home" mode?

Give it another blast at 3 bar and see hoe it goes?

#11 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

Just have, no difference. Need to get it plugged in whilst running to see if that sheds any light on it. aaaaaggggrrrrhhhhh!

#12 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

Ok i have just noticed something, my HT leads, when fitted in the order the books says and going by Nicks pictures, it wont start. Not a good thing, means my timing is off. So a shuffled them around and found a point where it did start,and seemed to run batter than above with all my problems, but i still feel it is being starved at the top end. Would this be related to my plug order being wrong, and why would mine be different?

#13 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

You know cylender no1 is the one on the right of the engine (when looking from the front of the car)?

I've made that mistake a couple times >_<

#14 northy

northy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Local Club: LCMOC

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hold on, why do you have a dizzy if your engine is MPI?
The MPI engines had a coilpack system, like EDIS, surely you haven't volunteered to have a distributor?

#15 tony kenobi

tony kenobi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

yep, know this is one. I took the DS module off to look at the numbers stamped on it, but each lead has 2 plugs it can go to. Bottom 2 are 1 and 4, top 2 are 2 and 3. How hell does that help, could be any configuration. at least i have tracked the problem down, now how to fix it. Oh yeah, failed MOT today because i hadnt the chassis number riveted to the body! FFS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users