4 replies to this topic

#1 Az_RacingGreen

Az_RacingGreen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Anybody done it? Considered doing it? Found any benefits/problems?

Exploring options atm.

#2 Billys Bits

Billys Bits

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

i have seen a couple done not to thread hijack but could some one also post uplinks to home buit frames for rear engine conversions

and i think if you go onto ebay and type in r1 mini go completed listing there will be an unsold mini on there that used a front subframe in the rear for a bike engine

#3 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

GTM did it a few times to fairly good effect. I've got two Coupes with completely different setups once you start looking at them in detail beyond the basics.

How are you planning to lock the steering off? the early GTM setup was not particularly strongly attached to the hub (changed the bottom arm to an A-arm). The later system with a short lock-off arm from the steering arm to the subframe is stronger but allows some bump steer. Alan from Rossabitz has a slightly different system that eliminates this.

Which hubs do you want to use? Again earlier GTM's used a drum front hub with a modified rear backplate to allow Mini rear drums to have a driveshaft pass through them. My red one has this setup but I've never driven it - my mate has a Rossa with drum rears and he's just stuck his turbo lump in it without changing the brakes.
When I got my blue one it had front hubs on the rear with standard 8.4" discs and calipers plus an additional bracket to hold a cable handbrake caliper (Citroen 2CV I'm told). This setup was very prone to locking the rears on the pedal and the handbrake was useless. It now has MGF rear calipers working on 8.4 solid discs with Metro turbo stuff at the front and the balance is pretty much perfect on a single circuit master cylinder with no bias valve. It's getting a bias bar setup and I hope I can get the balance as good when it's fitted.

Iain

#4 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Holy thread resurrection - just seen the date on the original post.

Iain

#5 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

Holy thread resurrection - just seen the date on the original post.

Iain

llf i see what you mean, wonder what he decided to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users