#1 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: irishminis.ie

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

hi can any one explain how to lower a mini iv been told jus cut half the bump stop off job done is this true??

#2 mini_mentalist_chris

mini_mentalist_chris

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: S.L.M.O.C.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

You need to buy yourself some hi-los. These replace the steel cones in your suspension with units that allow you to wind the height of the car up and down. Beware though, if you are going to lower it by a lot, you should buy lowered height shock absorbers.

Alternatively, it is possible to lower the car by cutting of a small part of the tip of the steel cone, although a tiny bit off the cone lowers the car by quite a bit. You would be better forking out for the hi-los though

Here is a set http://minispares.co...a...AND REAR ...

Hope this helps

Chris

#3 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

hi can any one explain how to lower a mini iv been told jus cut half the bump stop off job done is this true??

Dont cut bump stops, or you'll add extra stress to suspension, causing a premature wear..

#4 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: irishminis.ie

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

thanks a mill lads. il stay away from cutting the stops.

#5 MB1380

MB1380

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

You need to buy yourself some hi-los. These replace the steel cones in your suspension with units that allow you to wind the height of the car up and down. Beware though, if you are going to lower it by a lot, you should buy lowered height shock absorbers.

Alternatively, it is possible to lower the car by cutting of a small part of the tip of the steel cone, although a tiny bit off the cone lowers the car by quite a bit. You would be better forking out for the hi-los though

Here is a set http://minispares.co...a....AND REAR ...

Hope this helps

Chris

I know hi lo's are ideal and i have them on the back but i have a few spare trumpets lying around and want to lower the front so how much would need to be taken off the trumpet to cause say a 1" drop?
Could i get away without using a cone compressor?

#6 mini mayhem

mini mayhem

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Of Ireland

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:07 PM

hi-los are the eventually quickest way by far!!!!

#7 orcadian

orcadian

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hi,
The trumpets are made from an aluminium alloy (except for some of the very earliest cars) and quite easy to shorten. The ratio at the front is 1:3 which means that if you remove 1/3 of an inch (about 8mm) off the lower end of the trumpet (after removing the knuckle joint) you will lower that corner of the car by 1 inch. (1:5 at the rear) I you are sawing and filing, rather than using a lathe, just make sure that the end is still square to the central axis, otherwise the knuckle joint will not seat correctly and could snap off in the trumpet in use. You have to use a rubber cone compressor to remove the trumpet - no other way. Removing anything from a bump stop will only allow the car to dip further when you go over a big bump - it will make no difference to the ride height. When lowering the car you must take account of drive shaft angularity, i.e. when viewed from the front with a very low car, the inner joints will be lower than the outer, which will lead to premature CV wear.

Edited by orcadian, 19 November 2009 - 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users