#1 nobbycameron

nobbycameron

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

hello everyone just a couple of questions regarding the above.

i have spent this afternoon on my head and when i came to putting the valves in i noticed the top hats are different, i have four with little lips around the hole where the collect sits and four without this lip. My inlet valves have 3 grooves which the collet sits in and my exhaust valves have one groove. can ayone tell me which way around they should go... the reason why i am questioning it is that the exhaust collets do not seem to sit as well in the top hat as the inlets, it may just be me being over carefull but the last thing i want is a valve in my piston...

also are valve springs the same for inlet and exhaust? my springs are from a sw5 kit i bourght a couple of years ago,

any advice on any of this would be good, i can provide photos of top hats and collets if required

cheers

rob

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,054 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

The split collets for the 3-groove valve have a different taper angle from the single-groove collets, which means the caps are different too.
Don't mix them up!
I can't remember the markings for which is which, but I just know from looking. Try the valve cap with the circular marking on the 3-groove valve and the other cap on the single groove. if the valves then sit the same height above the caps, then they are the right way round. If not, do them opposite from that. Have a good look first, it should be obvious.
I guess omeone will be along in a minute to confirm the correct markings for you (and for me!).

#3 nobbycameron

nobbycameron

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:37 PM

thanks for your reply cooperman, i have now determined that the 3 groove valve requires the hat with the raised section around the hole, what made me question it is that the exhaust valve single groove collet doesnt sit as well as the 3 groove one, this is how i have ran it for am couple of years but i was just being cautious.

i believe there are two types of single groove collet, what i need to know is how similar they are and whether if i had the wrong ones then they wouldn't sit right or whether they would not fit at all if you see what i mean.

thanks

#4 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

I'm keen to see the answers here too! Would be really useful to have some pics of the correct combos ??
Yes - the valve springs are all same - I can confirm that. As usual - make sure the valve spings don't bottom out!

#5 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

The top caps with the raised "lip" around the centre are for the triple groove collets, the ones with the chamfered centre are for the single groove collets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users