#1 Rhillbmx

Rhillbmx

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi

I brought a 1987 Mayfair with a cooper engine in it a few months ago and have sorted most the problems on it. However now im looking to increase the BHP without spending way too much money on it. I dont have that much knowledge about engine mods but im very keen on learning. I also do not know what mods the car has had. I have heard a lot of people say that you can make a mini very quick without changing the engine. Is this true?

Please would someone please just maybe give me a few things starting with the cheapest that can be done to increase the BHP and how much it would cost.

Sorry if this sounds really newbie but im not that knowledgeable on engine mods.

Thanks

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Cheapest things to do are lose weight! Costs you nothing (unless you convert things to carbon fibre etc).

Then a real good service and RR tune will ensure your Mini is running at it's best with what you've already got.

Then you're looking at a 'Stage 1' kit. Which is basically an exhaust/air filter system.

A browse through the wonders that the search button throws up will tell you all you need to know :)

#3 Rhillbmx

Rhillbmx

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:09 PM

i have stripped as much as i can and i know its got a new straight through exhast and a k&n but i dont know if the manifold has been changed.

whats stage 2??

thanks

#4 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

i have stripped as much as i can and i know its got a new straight through exhast and a k&n but i dont know if the manifold has been changed.

whats stage 2??

thanks

stage 2 is usually head modifications i think...not exactly cheap but worth it if you can afford it

#5 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

If yours a fuel injected engine, a RR will be useless, as the ecu will adjust itself, the SPI isnt mappable and the MPI can handle near to 100bhp.
Get hold of a good stage one kit, if you want more, a good work on the cylinder head will be a good improvement.
Remember that the cheaper improvement on a mini is lightening, work wonders.

#6 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

If anyone using a factory MPi ECU gets near 100bhp on a dyno and its still drivable, the dyno will be over reading by 10%

The SPi on the other hand has already been proven on more than one dyno >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users