rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

ive got a 95 cooper spi.

the heads coming out and is getting lapped and reconned whilst the new lump is getting put in.

what i want to know is... what head is on the spi's is it the same as the famous metro heads that evry 1 goes on about?

if not is the spi a decent or a rubbish head, ie restrictive or not?

if it is crud then is it better to modify it or to get a metro head and grind that?

ive read the vizard book and the head section but obviosly this isnt a head thats in the book due to its age, so is it a guessing game or can i get stensils/ info for an spi or a metro head?

basically i want to know the whole lowdown in spi cooper heads lol...

any help would be apreciated as my engines getting done next week :) (cant wait, ive missed far too many shows this year! :()

thanks in advance :)

Edited by rick.spi, 22 August 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#2 Alexandre34

Alexandre34

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local Club: Les Mini Caisses du Sud

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

Hi !

The head fitted to the 1.3i engine is quite restrictive, it has 33,3 mm inlet valves and 29,4 mm exhaust valves (like some metro's heads).

If you want to improve the breathing you can fit a MG Metro head with 35,6 inlet valves and the same exhaust valves as the 1.3i head, but with a slight better port design.

If you want more cake, you can fit the same head but a with a port work done, a stage 2 or 3 cylinder head, be aware that the differents stages are not the same from one shop to the other, so you really need to compare the specs to make your choice.

I have what I call a "stage 2" head (35,6 inlet, 29,4 exhaust, port work done,double valve springs and steel valve guides) on my Mini and I find that it's a great improvement in comparison with the standard head.

#3 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

At first, remove the massive edge on the ports. Then you can fit larger valves, reshape chambers..
Or simply swap for an earlier 940 head.

#4 rick.spi

rick.spi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Local Club: "WOT NO BRAKES"

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:16 PM

thanks for the replies, really helpfull :)

cheers.

#5 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

in a nutshell - its the same as the later metro 1275 unleaded heads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users