#1 BRG_Cooper

BRG_Cooper

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi All,

i'm new to this but i have already read through most of the posts in the "Injection Mini Specific - SPi/MPi" forum.

My 95 Cooper has decided to stop starting. My girlfriend took it to work the other day and when she went to start it to come home it would not start.

The fuel pump was recently (about 2 weeks ago) replaced with a brand new one and its been absolutely fine until this. Upon first attempt at starting it the fuel pum primes but the engine does not turn over, doesnt even attempt to. On the second try the fuel pump does not even prime.

Thanks to all the previous posts i've narrowed it down to being flat battery, fuel cut off switch, fuse, or relay box. I'm hoping its not the relay box as that seems tricky. Are there any other suggestions? I will be looking at her tonight (the mini that is) and will update accordingly.

Any advice to a newbie will be greatly appreciated.

BRG_Cooper.

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hi All,

i'm new to this but i have already read through most of the posts in the "Injection Mini Specific - SPi/MPi" forum.

My 95 Cooper has decided to stop starting. My girlfriend took it to work the other day and when she went to start it to come home it would not start.

The fuel pump was recently (about 2 weeks ago) replaced with a brand new one and its been absolutely fine until this. Upon first attempt at starting it the fuel pum primes but the engine does not turn over, doesnt even attempt to. On the second try the fuel pump does not even prime.

Thanks to all the previous posts i've narrowed it down to being flat battery, fuel cut off switch, fuse, or relay box. I'm hoping its not the relay box as that seems tricky. Are there any other suggestions? I will be looking at her tonight (the mini that is) and will update accordingly.

Any advice to a newbie will be greatly appreciated.

BRG_Cooper.

Hi,
It sounds that the battery, the inertia switch, the fuses and the relay box are ok, at least partially. The pump runs because the relay box is supplying power to the pump through the inertia switch. The battery should have enough voltage at least to run the pump. I believe that the suspect would be the starter circuit. If the battery is ok, try push starting the car. If it starts, that tells that it is the starter/solenoid or the relay in the module that operates the starter causing problems.
Hope that helps,

Ivan

PS
I am not positive, but the ECU might prevent the pump from priming on the second start attempt to prevent the engine from flooding after the first unsuccessful attempt.

#3 shorty

shorty

Short Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

as above it could well be a starter motor/solenoid/relay problem

and again as above try to either bump start the car or jump start the car.

#4 BRG_Cooper

BRG_Cooper

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

Thanks guys.

Went to take a look last night (first time i've been free) and after coming up with several different possibilities turns out that the problem was due to the lead coming off the battery! Hence no power at all!

There's a few bumpy roads on the way from our house to her work so it must have worked its way loose.

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll take it on board for any future issues. Long may the fun continue....

BRG_Cooper.
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users