4 replies to this topic

#1 mr.x

mr.x

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:13 AM

I thought I had the car fixed after a bad overheating issue. I couldn't even drive the car before as it would just boil over. I replaced the coolant temp sensor, replaced the fan wiring harness, replaced the t-stat, replaced the expansion tank cap then drained, fushed and renewed the coolant. All problems were solved. The car was fine for about a month, even in very hot humid weather. The needle never went over the half way point (50%), until today. And it was not even that hot!
I'm driving along and I glance down at the dash board to check all the gauges. I notice the coolant temp is about 75% up the scale, but not into the red. It shocked me. I had been driving for about 30 minutes in stop/go traffic. I couldn't pull over, so I turned the heater on speed 2. I was about 4-5 minutes from home. The needle began to go back down with the heater on. I shifted out of gear and just coasted down along for a while. I was able to make it home.
I get home, let it cool down, check the cooling system out and I don't see any issues. I started the car and let it run. No issues at idle. Needle going between 45-50% as the t-stat opens/closes. I then start to rev the engine up to 2000-3000 RPM's and hold it (simulate driving). After a few minutes, the needle begins to go back up 55-60-65-70% then I shut it off!! The aux cooling fan never came on and I'm thinking that is the issue. Has this coolant temp sensor failed again after only a month? It was the main issue last time. The expansion tank cap is still holding pressure and hasn't let go. The t-stat looks like it is working. Coolant is moving about in the system.
I'm going to hook the ACR4 onto it tomorrow and look for codes, then poke around some more.

Any ideas?

#2 mr.x

mr.x

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

I thought I had the car fixed after a bad overheating issue. I couldn't even drive the car before as it would just boil over. I replaced the coolant temp sensor, replaced the fan wiring harness, replaced the t-stat, replaced the expansion tank cap then drained, fushed and renewed the coolant. All problems were solved. The car was fine for about a month, even in very hot humid weather. The needle never went over the half way point (50%), until today. And it was not even that hot!
I'm driving along and I glance down at the dash board to check all the gauges. I notice the coolant temp is about 75% up the scale, but not into the red. It shocked me. I had been driving for about 30 minutes in stop/go traffic. I couldn't pull over, so I turned the heater on speed 2. I was about 4-5 minutes from home. The needle began to go back down with the heater on. I shifted out of gear and just coasted down along for a while. I was able to make it home.
I get home, let it cool down, check the cooling system out and I don't see any issues. I started the car and let it run. No issues at idle. Needle going between 45-50% as the t-stat opens/closes. I then start to rev the engine up to 2000-3000 RPM's and hold it (simulate driving). After a few minutes, the needle begins to go back up 55-60-65-70% then I shut it off!! The aux cooling fan never came on and I'm thinking that is the issue. Has this coolant temp sensor failed again after only a month? It was the main issue last time. The expansion tank cap is still holding pressure and hasn't let go. The t-stat looks like it is working. Coolant is moving about in the system.
I'm going to hook the ACR4 onto it tomorrow and look for codes, then poke around some more.

Any ideas?

I checked the fuse today. It was blown again. I'm road testing the car next to make sure it works.

What would cause the fuse for the aux fan to blow? This is the second time in 2 months.

Also, the bottom radiator hose will not stop leaking. I have tightended it to the point of almost snapping the radiator neck and it is still dripping very slowly. Any ideas? I don't want to go any tighter.

#3 mr.x

mr.x

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

I road tested the car. I could hear the ECU try to turn on the aux fan. It didn't come on. I looked at the fuse and ACR4. No codes. Fuse blown again. I took the grille off. Fan is stuck, will not spin freely. Is there any way to lub the fan motor or will I have to replace it?

#4 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

Sounds like you need a new fan as a stuck one will blow the fuse as it tries to work and will pull more amps than it should do,as for the hose,have a look at the end to make sure it is not split under the clip,i have seen this a few times you really do not need to do the clips up all that tight!
If the engine is overheating when on the move this should not be down to the fan not working as the cool air through the rad should be enough,depending on how bad the hose leaks you may have a circulation problem eg blocked rad/heater or maybe your new thermostat is faulty,wouldn't be the first one!

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

the motors on these fans are a sealed for life unit. What that actualy means is that the bearings have enough lubrication for them to survive the motors working life, not your life or the life of the car.

While you may be able to dismantle these motors and lubricate them, the end result is a motor that is at the end of its life, and could fail again ( read that as will fail)

Buy a new or good used fan to replace it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users