47 replies to this topic

#46 embracetheataris

embracetheataris

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

Well, I know I said I'd report back when the restoration was complete, however I'm now just shy of 1yr into the restoration and its still not complete so I figured I share my experience now! So I was told that the restoration would be complete by the end of September 2010...and here I am in April 2011 with a car that is still not complete. I've had 1 visit of the car when the panels were replaced and the car was sprayed, which took 6 months...and since then 5 months have passed...latest update is that its just failed its MOT on a count of the rear subframe been worn.

So I'm not going to ramble on too negatively, all I'll say is that I'd stay well clear if you're thinking about getting a restore done by this company...i've had a very poor experience and I cant put into words how pi55ed off I am about the whole restoration debacle.

Hope this is helpful and informative for someone so you can make a more informed decision than I did...

For what its worth - I've just ordered a complete interior for my soon to be restored mini..including new dash, carpets/insulating/mats, head-lining, full leather seats/interior, rear parcel shelf, boot lining kit, door cards, speaker board, centre console, gator cover and probably a few bits more.... From the quality of the work I've seen from various photographs it appears to be a very good standard...and the deal i was given seemed very reasonable!

Stuart spent over 30mins explaining all the options to me which I had in regard to the interior and was very helpful... I guess the proof is in the pudding and I'll see how their customer service is from start to finish - but at this point I'm pleased.

I would suggest the reason why their customer service/response times have been questioned is simply because they have so much work on. Personally speaking - time is not a big issue for me so I figure this won't be an problem...what i'm concerned with is the quality of their work, which i'm quietly confident is very good and worth waiting for! :thumbsup:

I'll report back with my whole experience once the restoration is complete!

P

#47 ASHLEY_JAMES_AUTOTRIM

ASHLEY_JAMES_AUTOTRIM

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

Pete

Shocked at the reply you have put on here. After everything we have gone through and had to do to your mini to get it back on the road. At the time you booked your car in you were to have a front end replacement a respray and an interior retrim. You chose your trim and left the car with us back in May last year.

Once we had got started on the mini we found that the car at some point in its past had been involved in an accident and had been previously repaired all be it very badly. The car wasn’t safe to be on the road. We then had to start removing not just wings, scuttle, A panels and Front Valance. but all the inner wings, floor pans, sills (inner and outer), rear valance, repair the boot floor, door skins, boot lip, door posts and rear quarter panels. Here are a few pictures of what we found.

The Start
Posted Image
Starting to remove the panels
Posted Image
Wings off but car twisted and pushed over to the drivers side
Posted Image
Once we had got to this stage we found that the inner wings on the car had been cut and repositioned and spot welded back together. The wings were split around the shock absorber mounting points and were only tacked to the firewall. Both inner wings had to be fully removed and replaced with genuine heritage panels. The Heritage panels took nearly 2 months to arrive.
This is what was left of the wings and what they should have looked like.
Posted Image
Posted Image
We then had to completely remove the floor pan footwells as the originals were CARDBOARD and SILICONE SEALANT.
This is the passenger footwell cardboard repair
Posted Image
The drivers side
Posted Image
CARDBOARD!!
Posted Image
Once removed:
Posted Image
Now fitted:
Posted Image
We then fitted your wings and A panels and sills and doorsteps and door posts ready for your arches to go on and be blended to the body work.
Not forgetting that the sills and doorsteps were previously stuffed with paper to pack them out.
Posted Image
After everything had been cut off, repaired, replaced, straightened, corrected, welded properly, re-skinned, blended and primed. It was painted in canary yellow.
Posted Image
It was at this point you came to see the car and were over the moon with what we had done. You then changed the interior design and chose a style of graphics for the body work and interior trim to match this. OK I admit at this point things went a little of track but my Father going into hospital with Cancer was a big thing for me to deal with. Then after Christmas you changed your mind on the graphics on the car which we had started to fit and decided to change the interior trim for the 3rd time. We continued with the engine rebuild and all of the wiring, lighting, exhausts, breaks and running gear etc

Once all of that was fitted and working the car went for an MOT and unfortunately it failed. The rear subframe wasn’t good enough for the test centre and the original CATALYTIC Convertor from your car was not working and required replacing. This is something that was not in our control. None of the parts we had replaced or fitted failed on the test.

At present your car is completed and requires just the subframe going on (which is on order from Northwest Minis) and then the wheels fitting. There is one small mark in the paintwork on the scuttle were we fitted the front screen which will be airbrushed in before your collection. The car looks great and you will be more than happy with it when you collect it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Your the 35th Mini we have rebuilt but the first to be unsatisfied with the work. The length of time for your job I feel is typical considering the amount of work that’s gone into the job and the man hours to get it completed. Iam sorry if you feel its taken to long but we are not going to rush a job just to get it finished, our work is always carried out to the highest of standards hopefully you can see from the pictures just how far we have gone.

Thanks

Ashley James Autotrim.

#48 embracetheataris

embracetheataris

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Shocked eh....you're shocked that a customer is currently waiting 7 months over than the date he was advised the work would take to complete and he writes a negative post about his experience?

I can appreciate a lot of work has gone into the car and it is/was a bigger job than first anticipated.....but 7 months over is not satisfactory.

Your response also seems to imply that I am/was a contributing factor toward the reason that the car hasn't been completed on time due to "changing my mind" about the interior...I think you'll find that everytime "I" changed my mind you/you're staff were the instigators of this and not me....so I fail to see how this held anything up as you were the one/s advising or suggesting the change/s to me.

I'm afraid the fact that I've just found out that the subframe is on order,and consequently not being fitted which means I'll be waiting even longer, via a post on a forum just sums up the level of communication I've received from you... terrible.

I think you need to improve your customer service by communicating with your customers.... providing timescales/updates - surely it cant be that difficult if your work is being managed correctly? In my opinion you've also bitten off more than you can chew in terms of work load...8 cars on the go is quite a lot wouldnt you agree?!

On a positive note for your business - the work you have done does seem a very good standard and this was never my gripe....my issue is with the amount of time it has taken and the lack of communication - if you'd have told me last year that I probably wouldnt get the car back until mid 2011 we might not be in this position now.

oh...and if the car is "canary yellow" like you've just stated then thats news to me - as I requested Ford Amarillo Yellow...

Pete

Pete

Shocked at the reply you have put on here. After everything we have gone through and had to do to your mini to get it back on the road. At the time you booked your car in you were to have a front end replacement a respray and an interior retrim. You chose your trim and left the car with us back in May last year.

Once we had got started on the mini we found that the car at some point in its past had been involved in an accident and had been previously repaired all be it very badly. The car wasn’t safe to be on the road. We then had to start removing not just wings, scuttle, A panels and Front Valance. but all the inner wings, floor pans, sills (inner and outer), rear valance, repair the boot floor, door skins, boot lip, door posts and rear quarter panels. Here are a few pictures of what we found.

The Start
Posted Image
Starting to remove the panels
Posted Image
Wings off but car twisted and pushed over to the drivers side
Posted Image
Once we had got to this stage we found that the inner wings on the car had been cut and repositioned and spot welded back together. The wings were split around the shock absorber mounting points and were only tacked to the firewall. Both inner wings had to be fully removed and replaced with genuine heritage panels. The Heritage panels took nearly 2 months to arrive.
This is what was left of the wings and what they should have looked like.
Posted Image
Posted Image
We then had to completely remove the floor pan footwells as the originals were CARDBOARD and SILICONE SEALANT.
This is the passenger footwell cardboard repair
Posted Image
The drivers side
Posted Image
CARDBOARD!!
Posted Image
Once removed:
Posted Image
Now fitted:
Posted Image
We then fitted your wings and A panels and sills and doorsteps and door posts ready for your arches to go on and be blended to the body work.
Not forgetting that the sills and doorsteps were previously stuffed with paper to pack them out.
Posted Image
After everything had been cut off, repaired, replaced, straightened, corrected, welded properly, re-skinned, blended and primed. It was painted in canary yellow.
Posted Image
It was at this point you came to see the car and were over the moon with what we had done. You then changed the interior design and chose a style of graphics for the body work and interior trim to match this. OK I admit at this point things went a little of track but my Father going into hospital with Cancer was a big thing for me to deal with. Then after Christmas you changed your mind on the graphics on the car which we had started to fit and decided to change the interior trim for the 3rd time. We continued with the engine rebuild and all of the wiring, lighting, exhausts, breaks and running gear etc

Once all of that was fitted and working the car went for an MOT and unfortunately it failed. The rear subframe wasn’t good enough for the test centre and the original CATALYTIC Convertor from your car was not working and required replacing. This is something that was not in our control. None of the parts we had replaced or fitted failed on the test.

At present your car is completed and requires just the subframe going on (which is on order from Northwest Minis) and then the wheels fitting. There is one small mark in the paintwork on the scuttle were we fitted the front screen which will be airbrushed in before your collection. The car looks great and you will be more than happy with it when you collect it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Your the 35th Mini we have rebuilt but the first to be unsatisfied with the work. The length of time for your job I feel is typical considering the amount of work that’s gone into the job and the man hours to get it completed. Iam sorry if you feel its taken to long but we are not going to rush a job just to get it finished, our work is always carried out to the highest of standards hopefully you can see from the pictures just how far we have gone.

Thanks

Ashley James Autotrim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users