#1 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: irishminis.ie

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

hi i have been thinking yet again about more torque for my mini:D ok il try explain this the lamba sensor workes at low revs and tipping around eg (1000-2500rpm) where as the map sensor takes over at full throttle (1000-6500rpm) so my theory is uprate map sensor from a rover 400 spi along with injectors bore out inlet manifold, polish throttle body, lcb along with a good set of leads and plugs will this over power the ecu or can my theory work?? any answers welcome :)

#2 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

lambda sensor fits in the exhaust, and measures the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust gases, regardless of engine speed. map sensor is short for 'Manifold Absolute Pressure', detects the air pressure in the manifold (funnily enough). There will also be a mass airflow sensor, that detects the amount of air and speed at which it enters the engine.

I dont see how changing the sensors with ones from a different car is going to get you more power, all theyre going to do is either tell the ecu the same thing that the original sensors would do, or not work properly and cause you issues. I would be inclined to work on the inlet manifold, cylinder head and exhaust system, as thats guaranteed to give you a noticeable gain in power and torque. A good set of plugs and leads (even just new standard stuff) will help out too.

#3 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:41 PM

There will also be a mass airflow sensor, that detects the amount of air and speed at which it enters the engine.

Not on a mini there isnt...

#4 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

There will also be a mass airflow sensor, that detects the amount of air and speed at which it enters the engine.

ive learnt something else :thumbsup:

#5 andatche

andatche

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

hi i have been thinking yet again about more torque for my mini:D ok il try explain this the lamba sensor workes at low revs and tipping around eg (1000-2500rpm) where as the map sensor takes over at full throttle (1000-6500rpm) so my theory is uprate map sensor from a rover 400 spi along with injectors bore out inlet manifold, polish throttle body, lcb along with a good set of leads and plugs will this over power the ecu or can my theory work?? any answers welcome :D

Both the lambda sensor reading and manifold pressue effect fueling throughout the entire engine load/rev range. Changing the MAP sensor will have no effect whatsoever, the manifold pressure will still be the same. Either way, the sensor is built into the ECU anyway so you can't change it. A good service, improved air filter and LCB/exhaust system are a good start.

There is no airflow sensor, there is however an inlet air temp sensor in the air filter housing which is used to calculate the density of air entering the engine and adjust fueling accordingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users