4 replies to this topic

#1 J2239

J2239

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?, my reverse gear motor works but only if you put a screwdriver across the positive terminal to the switch terminal. If I use the switch/button in the car, nothing happens other than the switch light goes dim. I have checked the earths and have had the motor stripped and checked. I believe the problem is the solenoid, does this make sense?

I have been onto the Brise web site but the search criteria is by make of car, The only reference on the motor is a code SM117 which I cannot search on. Does anyone know what car the motor is off? and is it possible to renew the solenoid on its own?

David

#2 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?, my reverse gear motor works but only if you put a screwdriver across the positive terminal to the switch terminal. If I use the switch/button in the car, nothing happens other than the switch light goes dim. I have checked the earths and have had the motor stripped and checked. I believe the problem is the solenoid, does this make sense?

I have been onto the Brise web site but the search criteria is by make of car, The only reference on the motor is a code SM117 which I cannot search on. Does anyone know what car the motor is off? and is it possible to renew the solenoid on its own?

David

hi david
have you checked the power source at the switch, because basicaly the screw driver is acting as the switch.

when you are using the screw driver, do you have the back of the car jacked up, and does the switch work with the rear of the car jacked up. the reason im asking is because sometimes the diff moves slightly when the car is on its wheels and would cause the starter to foul on the ring gear this would cause it to jam

i would try a live wire straight from the + side of the battery with a switch in the middle to eliminate the switch and wiring

Ed

#3 doncaster aut trimmers

doncaster aut trimmers

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

David

STARTER MOTOR IS OFF A MONDEO TURBO DIESEL DUE TO HIGH CRANKING POWER

#4 J2239

J2239

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

David

STARTER MOTOR IS OFF A MONDEO TURBO DIESEL DUE TO HIGH CRANKING POWER

Cheers, thanks for the info

David

#5 J2239

J2239

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

David

hi david
have you checked the power source at the switch, because basicaly the screw driver is acting as the switch.

when you are using the screw driver, do you have the back of the car jacked up, and does the switch work with the rear of the car jacked up. the reason im asking is because sometimes the diff moves slightly when the car is on its wheels and would cause the starter to foul on the ring gear this would cause it to jam

i would try a live wire straight from the + side of the battery with a switch in the middle to eliminate the switch and wiring

Ed

Thanks for this Ed, I will try your suggestion its sounds a good way to eliminate the wiring. The car was on axle stands at the time and I tried it on the switch/button and also with the screwdriver.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users