4 replies to this topic

#1 sam_o

sam_o

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

I've got an SPi and my idle is really odd and I want to sort it quick. When I turned the car on the other day it started and the revs went to 2 thousand and stayed there and then I touched the accelerator and the revs increased but stayed higher. But when I drive the car its alright until I slow down the revs go right up again between 2 and 3 thousand.

Then today I was fiddling around with it, checked my vac pipes and there fine. The I started it up and the revs went up towards 2 and then dropped to 1 and below almost like the engine was going cut out. So I thought it was fixed, so I quickly nipped down the round and when I got back and slowed down to park the revs went right back up again to 3 thousand revs.

I seriously need some help, anyone know some common causes of this problem?? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

#2 cbyrne

cbyrne

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Local Club: irishminis.ie

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

check the throttle sensor if its dirty for some reason the could be telling the ecu that the throttle is slightly pressed.

#3 bobsupermini

bobsupermini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

I've got an SPi and my idle is really odd and I want to sort it quick. When I turned the car on the other day it started and the revs went to 2 thousand and stayed there and then I touched the accelerator and the revs increased but stayed higher. But when I drive the car its alright until I slow down the revs go right up again between 2 and 3 thousand.

Then today I was fiddling around with it, checked my vac pipes and there fine. The I started it up and the revs went up towards 2 and then dropped to 1 and below almost like the engine was going cut out. So I thought it was fixed, so I quickly nipped down the round and when I got back and slowed down to park the revs went right back up again to 3 thousand revs.

I seriously need some help, anyone know some common causes of this problem?? Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

check the vac pipe is not pushed right into the elbows at each end,this can happen when refitting, pull the pipe out a couple of mill

#4 Minitrio

Minitrio

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Check the accelerator cable isn't sticking. Cheap and easy to replace.

#5 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

Check the accelerator cable isn't sticking. Cheap and easy to replace.

when this happened to me, it was the stepper motor. The pin which pushes on the throttle assembly was 'sticking', causing the revs to go up just like you describe.

Eventually it 'stuck' permanently, leaving my car idling at around 2000 rpm. In my case this was caused by broken solder joints on the stepper motor circuit board, where the connector is soldered on. It took me a while to work that out mind you..

Check to see if the stepper motor is operating. One very easy check is that you should hear it clicking as it resets its position when you turn off the ignition. You don't need to have the car running, just put the key onto position 2 then turn it off again. You should hear it.

If you cant hear it, start looking for problems at the stepper motor - check the connector is on properly first, then you may need to take it apart for a closer look. Its not too hard.

Good luck
Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users