#1 Joloke08

Joloke08

Not banned but still weird

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:37 PM

Hi
Boris our 1995 Single point Injection is causing us Problems again ;)
Were not a bottomless Moneypit so im hoping somebody out there can help :cry:

On Saturday at Castle Combe at Action Day he stalled while i "D" ive never known an Auto to stall?

Anyhow moving on from that he peformed faultlessly for the rest of the Show but then refused to start when it was time to go home :(
Most of our Club members tried to get it going again and eventually it burst into life :shifty:

tonight it happened again but Worse :cry:
I drove it to pick up my partner from Work parked it up then 5 minutes later he wouldnt start again :)

We called out the AA they came out,checked for a spark etc then after a few tests Boris Fired up again before the AA guy had finished his tests :dontgetit:
The AA man said he reckoned it was the fuel Pump but with the cost of a fuel pump we dont just want to replace it without being sure first

How do we check if its the Pump?
Or if not what else could it be?

when it happens it turns over but wont fire the engine up and depressing the accelerator just makes it die completely :D

Please Help a Damsel in Distress :cry:

Huggz
Jodie :wub:

#2 zorgster

zorgster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:58 PM

when it happens it turns over but wont fire the engine up and depressing the accelerator just makes it die completely :shifty:

this is what i took Morag in to the garage to get diagnosed - diagnostics said MAP sensor/throttle potentiometer/coolant temp sensor - none really make sense when it comes down to intermittent faults... unless it's dodgy wiring...

but Morag had that... get into first gear ok... pull away.. but touch the accelerator in second and the engine dies.. lift off the accelerator and she'd just about recover .. sometimes not... but then the next day i could drive 100 miles with no problems...

so somewhere either fuel isn't getting in... not enough is getting in.. or it's getting lost along the way... or not getting fired up...

the first - fuel getting in.. is the more expensive test... fuel pump, fuel relay - all a bit costly...
debris in the tank - a possibility ... don't know how to fix that? drain the tank? fish around in the tank with net?

getting lost along the way... this is what I found was happening with Morag whilst i was removing things to replace the coolant temp sensor... loose bolts holding the manifolds to the cylinder head... sometimes there was no gap sometimes there was a gap... when the engine is hot something shrinks and more escapes .. till at some point the engine gets nothing... test the bolts with a spanner and see if they are really tight... all 6 on the back of the cylinder head... ours were loose because a local garage lifted the engine out... and I don't remember this happening before that...

i also found a small split in the vacuum pipes and replaced them...

so far i've driven from London to Sheffield and it's being driven each day .. and not a flinch so far .. no loss of power ... so do check the bolts .. and the vacuum pipes.. esp if you've had the engine lifted... it's a cheap check to eliminate for this kind of intermittent failure...

running on from that .. could be a split in the gaskets between the manifold and the cylinder head... or cracked throttle body? ... simply stripping down to get to the coolant temp sensor (and i've never really touched these parts of a car before) helped me to look at the state of all the parts ...

#3 Minisniper

Minisniper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Market Drayton Mini Club, Minis On A Mission.

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Hiya Jodie
Have you got a filter on your fuel line? and have you checked it for crud?

Also thinking about it, not too sure about this one but I don't think there's any way of checking an intermittent fault on your pump, it maybe that the fault only occurs once it gets a little warm as I said not to sure but worth checking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users