Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Help To Identify Non-standard Carb?


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

    Mini Mad

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

I have a Domino (fibreglass) mini with a 1275 (Silver Seal) engine. I know very little about the history of the car, but it seems to have a non-standard carb – at least it doesn't match up with the photos in the Haynes manual. It's an SU carb, but I don't know which model – does anyone recognise it from the photos?

The engine runs fairly well, but I would like to know which carb this is so that I can find an air filter.

Any tips appreciated
Malcolm
Attached File  P1010915.jpg   249.88K   20 downloads
Attached File  P1010914.jpg   286.25K   34 downloads

#2 stormintrooper

stormintrooper

    Up Into Fourth

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

if im not mistaken thats a HIFF carb which is a common mini carb

#3 Asphalt

Asphalt

    Up Into Fourth

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Local Club: Member of a Local Club?:

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

But an odd one... Such a HIF was never originaly fitted to any Mini or Metro (note: it's opening 'reversed'! And the bell looks odd too)...

To determine - measure the diameter of the throttle plate. It's either a 1.5" or 1.75". If 1.5, HIF4/HIF38 filterss should fit, if 1.75 HIF44 filters should fit fine. :)

#4 orcadian

orcadian

    Mini Mad

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi,
The carb is an SU HIF (horizontal integral float) probably a 44, but you can easily measure the bore, so you should get an air filter easily, they were fitted to lots of the 90's 1275's before injection. The heated inlet manifold looks neat, but if you can, I would do something about the angle that the throttle cable is positioned - it certainly needs a new ferrule to hold it better and perhaps a little 'tweak' of the bracket to get a smoother cable run. Also there is a take-off on the left side in the photo, which needs connecting or blocking off.
Regards,

#5 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

    Mini Mad

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

The carb is an SU HIF..., they were fitted to lots of the 90's 1275's before injection.

Ahhh, that probably explains why I couldn't identify it from the Haynes manual – mine is '69 to '82 :)

Many thanks for all your quick replies.

Is it likely to do much harm driving without a filter? There was none fitted when I bought the car, and I've just noticed the rampipes on the Minispares site, which I guess are for use without a filter. Just curious what effects this has on performance and engine wear.

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

    Moderator

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,187 posts
  • Location: Worcs

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

It is a terrible terrible Idea to run the car without an airfilter - Do not run the car until you have a filter on it - Lots of contaminates, including grit, dust, and grime will get sucked into the carb, it will form a nice grinding paste, which will get into your engine and wear it out very fast indeed.

Ram pipes are best accompanied by a 'filter sock',

#7 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

    Mini Mad

  • Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

it will form a nice grinding paste, which will get into your engine and wear it out very fast indeed.

I figured that would be the answer. Too late though, it's been running like this for a good while. I've got to take the head off to replace the gasket, so I'll soon find out just how gritty northern air is...




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users