#1 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:57 PM

hi guys i'm thinking of putting my lump out of my vw 1.8 8v gti into a mini.
Confession: i didn't start off life as the biggest fan of mini's but after seing and being in my mates vtec i thought it was awsome, and even my other mates mini 998 shocked me as to how quick it could take a bend, and when my old man told me about when he put a 1800 maxi engine into a mini when he was younger i was thinking it was worth a try. i guess i have seen the mini-light'
just wanted to know your thoughts on my idea, and any advice you could offer me

Cheers Gary

#2 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:15 AM

wanted to know the legalitys of building my own front subframe, does it need any extra tests???

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:31 AM

Legally I don't think it does, but you will need to tell your insurance company, who will probably require you to have an engineers report. Alternatively you may be able to insure it as a kit car, but then I think you would need an SVA (self builds MOT), however these are a lot more stringent than an MOT.

#4 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:35 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u.....AMEWA:IT&rd=1

Just got this on ebay, the project is getting under way, plan to put a clubman flip front on it, gonna run the golf running gear and suspension, so will have to widen the rear axel to match the wheel base of the front and some prety BIG arches, i know it a long way off but thinking of baby blue with black wheels and graphics

Gaz

#5 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:26 AM

bargain mate!

#6 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

it will be good to see aomething different

#7 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:04 AM

cut the front off today, interesting as i had no seams to go by but i found the welds from when it was de-seamed, also bought some pedals recently i know finishing touches are a long way off but i couldnt resist :tongue:

Attached Files

#8 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:07 AM

was thinking of running the fortech arches but not sure how much width they will give me, wheather there'll be enough room :fear: , has anyone got them fitted, or know any one, and could possibly give me the depth of them
cheers gaz

#9 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:08 AM

buy the mini mag that came out this month (December issue) The cover car is exactly this conversion! The pics should help alot.

#10 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:08 AM

fortech arches fit ******* at the rear!

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:13 AM

Tis true, the wheels never sit in the middle of the arch (looking side on) without LOADS of work!

#12 bousfield19

bousfield19

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Local Club: minis unlimited

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:17 AM

sounds like a good project mate from memory the arches are arround 4.5 inches but they vary from car to car due to fitting methods you can get them from Auto fashion for £450 for the clubman or from mini spares for £160.39 inc vat they are one of the widest arch kits you can get if not the widest

jamie

#13 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:17 PM

yeah heard they're a pig to fit and make look right, not deep enough anyway, so gonna have to make some, started sanding down the roof today, a fair bit of rust on the gutter, so considering removing it at the mo, and smoothing it off. also finished off cutting off and cleaning up the front today, very little rust! yay!!

yeah Alburglar i saw that feature, but not to keen on it, its a nice car but not really my style, has given me a few ideas though.

Attached Files

#14 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:37 PM

Right need some help guys (and gals) need to build a cage/semi-space frame for my min', but having never built a cage in a mini, of seen a weld in one for a min' need advice for size of tubing was going to build the main cage out of 2" and door bars and dash bars and other supports out of 1" 1/2, and the engine cradle out of 2" or 1" treliss work arrangment like ducati's, do you think this will be sufficient? didn't know if any of you guys could give me mesurments from your cages, also what grade tube do i need i know its supposed to be seam-less but didn't know if it had a specific name for when i order it from my steel merchant?

cheers for any advice
Gaz

#15 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:41 PM

a mate of mine put a fortech kit on a estate ,he fitted 8x13's on the front and 10x13's on the back to fill the arches :w00t:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users