#1 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:51 PM

i've had a good read of all the posts on here but want to get to feedback on the following. i'm currently considering a zcars conversion but finding it hard to justify the £5k outlay for a glorified rollcage. have also considered the vmax supercharger kit but unsure of their current state of play.

i'm keen on the mirage motorsport kit with the T2 turbo (no bulkhead mods). i have a low milage early 90's 1275. i'm thinking of getting a low compression head (28cc chambers) and fitting up the usual turbo kit allied to a wet fuel injection set up (omex, megasquirt). this is partly to get rid of the dizzy to make way for a front mounted rad but also to have better control of the fuelling. car currently has high lift rockers and stage 1 kit, oil cooler.

thinking of putting in a cross pin diff as well. would i be ok leaving the standard conrods, crank, pistons etc and putting in a turbo cam? i have read that the T2 can go up to 160 bhp but only want about 100bhp/sensible power.

matt

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

*whispers* 8 port....

#3 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:35 PM

How cheaply can 8port conversion be done? and what power is possible from it?

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Possible power, well I talked to Bill Richards about 8 porting my 1425, 170bhp was mentioned along with the words 'double my existing torque'. Apparently its a very smooth delivery of power. There is a Weslake head on Ebay at the mo, only a few minutes left. However I was advised by bill to stay clear of them because they crack, and that it certainly wasn't worth £1000.

As for price of an 8 port, well it ain't cheap. You pretty much have to have a steel bottom end. I don't think you would be able to get an 8 port from Bill for less than £10k, unless your engine has already been built to take that kind of power... :cheese:

#5 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

lol......thats way more expensive than the zcar R1 kit - you can get 170 with a hayabusa sub 4.5s 0-60!

can anyone confirm the state of play with vmax scart? quite like a fule injected supercharger.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

Yea, I spose that does come out more expensive, but that is fully built. For the parts your looking at about £5k I spose. At thats all new parts, if you were to source second hand parts you could get it alot cheaper.

#7 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

thinking of putting in a cross pin diff as well. would i be ok leaving the standard conrods, crank, pistons etc and putting in a turbo cam? i have read that the T2 can go up to 160 bhp but only want about 100bhp/sensible power.

standard crank and rods should be ok for 100bhp. not sure about pistons, tho, but theres plenty of secondhand standard metro turbo pistons around (i have some that arent being used) that would stand up to it. i have the cam aswell if u want it.

#8 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:38 PM

Standard rods and crank will be fine, providing of course they are in good condition. Fitting a twin pin diff is well worth the money, as is rebuilding the gearbox, for the cost of the bearings and the few hours it takes you get peace of mind.
You'll not struggle to get 100hp. A decent cylinder head, suitable cam and 7psi of boost should see you there easily on a properly built motor.
At this kind of boost the standard pistons "should" be ok. Raising the boost further than this is "try it and see" terratory. I have personally only ever used Turbo pistons so can't really comment from experience on this one ........

Phil. :w00t:

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users