477 replies to this topic

#451 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:03 PM

I used the r1 throttle cable just cut it a bit shorter and fitted a screw on end piece to locate it in the minis throttle pedal.
I used some bits off a bicycle (from where the cable goes into the brake levers) to hold the throttle cable in position as it passes through the bulkhead.
No reverse on mine but the shift cable is near enough in the middle so that it passes through on a straight line the gear selector mechanism

#452 kubinski

kubinski

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:01 AM

I used the r1 throttle cable just cut it a bit shorter and fitted a screw on end piece to locate it in the minis throttle pedal.
I used some bits off a bicycle (from where the cable goes into the brake levers) to hold the throttle cable in position as it passes through the bulkhead.
No reverse on mine but the shift cable is near enough in the middle so that it passes through on a straight line the gear selector mechanism

Thank you :D

#453 Noble Savage

Noble Savage

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

Hey Oliver, sent you a PM.

#454 mini_mentalist_chris

mini_mentalist_chris

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: S.L.M.O.C.

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:22 PM

I've just read this thread from start to finish. What a fantastic build! Nice one! I have been doing up my house so have neglected my mini for the past couple of years, but was collecting all the bits to go A-series turbo (looking for about 170 BHP). Over the past few days I've been more inclined to go for the R1 set up, the more I've read/watched. The cost doesn't seem to be too different. I am building a "weekend warrior"/track day car so having something this extreme wouldn't be an issue. 

#455 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

Thank you!
It was off the road yet again after the builder fell through the fibre cement garage roof and all the debris fell on the mini.
Anyway it got sent back to Joe at John Holloway Cars to do the repairs. That all went fine however it then sprung a leak from the coolant hose that’s tucked up behind the exhaust.
Managed to get the old hose off but not got around to fitting a new one yet.
Still, it’s winter so I’m not exactly missing much driving time

#456 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

An update!
But not much in terms of progress

First chance I’ve had to work on it since my daughter arrived in May 2020.
That little hose that’s tucked up next to the oil cooler and against the diff casing is a real pain to access. Obviously it was fitted to the engine outside the car but replacing it in situ is hard work. It’s not possible to remove the cup for the driveshaft as it fouls the manifold which also means the other point of access by removing the oil cooler isn’t possible either.
I really need it up here with me in London to put in some proper time to do it correctly as I fear a make-do approach will only cost more time in the long run.
To do it properly I fear an engine out job

#457 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 03:37 PM

So some years have passed and it’s time to resurrect this thread.

The mini is up in London as it needs some proper time spent on it to get it back to road worthy condition.
That awkward hose was finally replaced but having hoses off and the engine effectively open for such a long time I think allowed a lot of moisture to contaminate what little oil remained in the sump which I wasn’t aware of until I ran the engine. I’m hoping this is the issue and not that I’ve unluckily crushed an O ring when refitting the water pipe that runs through the sump…
Anyway I needed the sump off to clean it out which I’ve done and it came up nicely but then I noticed something -
9-A69462-D-D19-E-423-F-BE44-013009-F3147
two cracks probably of my own doing so I’m currently awaiting a replacement sump off eBay

#458 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:31 PM

F477-EA39-1-F65-4-BC0-9-C56-AE33197-C34-

Well at least I know for sure how water was contaminating the oil as I found this in the oil strainer

#459 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 05:53 PM

It’s all back together. Did an oil flush and coolant flush and no more milky oil and no apparent leaks from any of the bits I’ve disturbed. Had to butcher my top hose as it was the only thing flexible enough to join the two fixed pipes tucked away behind the downpipes.
Took a few attempts to get everything in a position so that nothing was rubbing or fouling access to hose clips etc

#460 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 06:36 PM

Painted sump looks fresh against the different shade of silver and overall grubbiness of the engine block
34-D2852-A-1-EEF-42-F9-B3-EE-CDDAA85-AAB

Couple of new top hoses. Just needs a good clean now to remove the years of grime for going nowhere
D773-E16-A-6-EAF-4-A8-C-9955-E991-B64-C3

#461 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 05:26 PM

Rear lenses were cracked and crazed in places to swapped them out for new ones an at the same time decided to upgrade from the cheapo eBay LED bulbs to something proper, at a cost mind but they are far superior and really pleased with them.
EEC1-AA94-0-BE1-4-F0-E-81-DB-0-DCD8-D2-E

#462 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 05:27 PM

41-E83-FDA-3440-47-C7-B7-AC-4-CE38-E0-F9

7755-C633-F0-F8-4-E03-B296-209-BB5829945

#463 Joew

Joew

Starting My Mini Up

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local Club: North east mini club

Posted 02 January 2024 - 08:30 PM

Keep up the good work!
I’ve just read this from start to finish and it sounds like quite a journey.
Anything planned for the future?

#464 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:47 PM

Well it’s such an old build now that there’s plenty I would like to change and stuff I look at on the mini and think ‘why did I do that’.
However, at the moment all I really want to do is drive it! But I’ve just not had chance over the past couple of months with time and particularly the weather. School traffic too is big issue up here but I have had the odd jaunt out locally and despite tottering around at 30/40 it’s still fun and crazy and ridiculously loud.

#465 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 02:29 PM

I can report that the Mini has been out for a decent little drive. First proper bit of road use in so many years I’ve forgotten.
Few rattles and vibrations i would like to nail down but to be honest there’s so much chaos going on you don’t have time to pay them too much attention.
I’d forgotten just how savage the acceleration and torque steer is.
Overtaking is interesting - weaving all over the place due to my lack of experience driving it. There’s a technique I’m sure but nailing the throttle whilst trying to wrestle the torque steer one way then over correcting it to the left is not it!

But it’s such fun

You can keep your modern cars the Mini is still a hoot in any form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users