is this due to the carbs?

#2 TwinCarb

TwinCarb

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

Check the kick down bar (guv control bar) on the back of the carb is adjusted properly, that may be causing the problem.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

I would suspect that whoever fitted the twin carbs has done a poor job of adapting the kickdown system onto the throttle. I don't think twin carbs were ever a standard fit on any car with a transverse A series suto box so whatever is there will be home made. If it all moves properly and is secure then it will just be down to adjustment though.

#4 simplyminis

simplyminis

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Local Club: m4minis

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

im going to put a standard carb back on anyway

why is it changing gear so quick

#5 TwinCarb

TwinCarb

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

My kick down bar was catching the exhaust LCB so might be worth checking that.

#6 mikeredshaw

mikeredshaw

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Local Club: Tyneside mini club

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

Hi

I've got a B reg Mayfair and when I got mine I was surprised at how 'sprightly' it changes both up and down.

It seems to want to change a bit faster than you would if you were changing manually.

But - I just got used to it and actually just think of it now as one of those quirks which make you smile when you drive it............ well when it's all back in one piece that is!

#7 kalkat

kalkat

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

Yes - the kick-down control rod will need adjusting, and probably modifying. It's important to realise the geometry of the twin carb setup is different to the single. My auto has twins and not only did I have to shorten the rod, but also put a 'set' into it to get the positionig correct.

When adjusting the kick down rod,there's a hole in the operating bellcrank that lines up with a hole in the back of the gearbox casing - use a 1/4 (6mm) drillbit to line up.

Emma

#8 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:57 AM

It chanfges gear quickly because you are not holding the governor mechanism open, and quite basically it is driving like you are on part throttle :(

As Emma says use a 1/4" rod about 1 or so long will do this positions the mechanism ready for adjustment...... however you really need to review this section in the Haynes or other workshop manual as this is one of those jobs on an auto that is covered :)

You need to have warmed the engine up, ie operating temperatures, this is to get it off choke and to adjust the throttle to get the correct tick over.... read all about it it will make sense.. page 148/9 Haynes manual (blue one that is)

Edited by mra-minis.co.uk, 19 October 2009 - 06:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users