5 replies to this topic

#1 marky r

marky r

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

right guys im an apprentice hgv mechanic i work for my dad but do cars aswell sometimes. and iv been itching to drop an engine in my cooper iv had on the drive for about 9 month now whilst iv been finishing a mayfair off which will be getting taxed and tested and sold within the next few week. it looks like a 2L 16v redtop id do an Let engine but there more expensive and would i even get one in a roundnose cooper? realistically how much am i looking at for the conversion iv already got the car and its solid enough. id need the engine running gear and subframe etc. what a sensible budget?

#2 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Would be a fair amount of work to get one under a standard roundnose as it is. Cost would depend on whether you make your own subby etc. or buy one from Allspeed for about £350 + VAT. Would still need driveshafts, mounts, powdercoat frame, and adjustable suspension arms at decent quality. Alspeed do this minus driveshafts for about £710 (ish) + VAT. Also remember you WILL need a brake upgrade. I'm doing the same conversion right now, and budgeting for about £5.5k. Will probably be near on £8k by the time I've finished the car though.

Also remember with current enforcement, an IVA test may be necessary. I'm trying to build mine to IVA standard though anyways.

Edited by HARBER07, 15 October 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#3 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

I doubt very much you would get an LET under a standard round nose, with the allspeed from you cant get an XE under a roundnose, so an LET would be worse.

I was planning on around £10k for my xe build. Im not sure how close to that il be, i think i will probably exceed it. I do have alot of bodywork and a full rebuild in that cost. Aswell as a very expensive engine build.

Make an estimate of what you wanted to spend and triple it :D

Edited by RacingGreen, 15 October 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#4 marky r

marky r

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

alright 300 pound so itll cost me £900 nah just pulling your leg. would i need to extend the bonnet a little bit? my dad helping me do them but when i mention putting an engine init he says i wont have time to do that he did the same with my brother when he put a redtop in his corsa so ill just ask my brother to help me. what brake setup do you use and what suspension setup. im just getting a ruff idead of how much itwill cost me.

#5 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

It is just about possible to squeeze an XE under a standard roundnose - but will need a large bonnet bulge and a bulge in the O/S wing. Brakes - minimum of 4 pot calipers i would say, or just the biggest / best you can afford. After all whats the point in going fast, if you cant slow down quick enough. Suspension depends on what subframe arrangement you go for. It is possible to run on standard cones / shocks / trumpets etc. but not sure how advisable that is with the extra weight upfront. Maybe the competition cones (Red / Yellow dot etc.) are better for this?. Failing that only other option is coilovers @ about £400+ for an all round set. I can imagine the handling being well off if you only put them up front.

#6 cooper_mark

cooper_mark

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub.com

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

http://www.16vminicl...isplay.php?f=21
have a look here on the vauxhall builds.....
yes a retop can be fitted under a standard round nose but not using a chopped mini frame (u will need to remove the towers to do this) so u can get the engine and box as far back as possible...
have a look here fmbspec's custom made frame....
http://www.16vminicl...ls.php?album=10
also markLD build using a modded metty frame iirc also running turbo
http://www.16vminicl...read.php?t=6055
hope this helps......

Edited by cooper_mark, 19 October 2009 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users