12 replies to this topic

#1 8youngy8

8youngy8

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:32 PM

This is my story, my name is Dan Young I am currently studying sociology BSc Hons degree at Glamorgan University and I am nineteen years old. I am the proud owner of a beautiful BMW orient blue mini Mayfair with wide arches, chrome revolutions, a twin boxter exhaust with large bore manifold, leather bucket seats, custom dash and parcel shelf and tons of chrome and much more.

Please take the time to read my story, just writing it has made me feel alittle bit better about my situation, any response would be welcome, and suggestions on what to do next also!...
Thankyou for your time - Dan

Attached Files

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:09 PM

I don't want to be pedantic, but if you car was that bad, the mot tester should not have passed it...

But sounds like you've had a bad experience with one garage, we're all for naming and shaming on this site, as it may prevent someone going to the same place.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:11 PM

I would take him to court, make sure you get a lot of photos of the work he has done before you do anything to it though.

#4 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

I'd also take him to court!! Get an independant assesment of the work done and as much evidence as you can about the work and timescales involved and then get him in as much trouble as poss!!!!! People like that shouldn't be allowed to work on other peoples cars let alone charge them for the privaledge!!!! What would of happen if the car had fallen in half on your way to the MOT station?? I'd go and batter the T0$$£R!!!!!! :lol:

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

Hi

Sorry to hear what’s happened.

Nice to know that* please insert suitable word/description here* like to conduct their business in this manner.

I to have been caught out because of my age. Although I am mechanically minded and have worked in a few garages before.

Had a small patch of rust on the rear wheel arch BEHIND the fuel tank.
Would have done this myself, as I can weld, just no welder at mo.

Took him 2 full days to do a half an hour job minus removal and refitting of the fuel tank.
Even then he just taped over the hole, covered it in under seal on both sides re fitted every thing and charged me for 2 full days work and over night storage.

A mate of mine has all so had probs from work like this.

Only found out about the front wings that were only spot welded in 3 places and glued with seam sealer on the rest.
When the engine had packed in and needed to be moved across the drive.

Hope one day soon you get the mini of your dreams.

#6 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

As ade said, thats shocking! People like that need shooting.

Plus...

NAME AND SHAME!

#7 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

Thats unbelivable!!

Id get the authorities on the him.

#8 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

Not nice at all would certainly be in there with some legal action mate.

#9 bacardigeezer

bacardigeezer

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 02:21 PM

I'm lucky i have a father who builds mini's. Horrible!

#10 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:04 AM

What a Tw*t! Take the sod to court!

#11 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:32 AM

As ade said, thats shocking! People like that need shooting.

Plus...

NAME AND SHAME!

ditto!
feel for you bud !

#12 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:16 AM

Just read the story. I've just started university so am of similar age. Man I'd be furious with that.

What I've found with garages is that they will over charge but have delievered near enough on time.

I was recommended to a mechanic who repairs and restores funeral cars but also does other jobs and used to have a mini. He is a lot cheaper than any garage I have used and while he does all the work he talks me through how things work, for instance today he adjusted my handbrake, suspension ball cup, gave me a bottle of oil for the carb, topped up on anti freeze and washer liquid. He didnt charge me today, top bloke!

Before you let someone work on your car, you should find out about them, whether they're trustworthy, are at a good price and do a proper job in their work.

#13 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if i'm right in saying you have no proof or evidence that this person/garage actually carried out the work? Receipt of a deposit with any sort of quotation? People like this don't normally operate in a professional manner, and because he talks and sounds as nice as pie you, as any trustworthy person would, believe him.

If i were you i'd do my very best to put the whole thing behind me. By all means carry out legal processes but i don't think a court case would be a) what you want or B) highly succesful..in my opinion of course.

For your sanity, i'd get rid of the mini and go and have a pee up at uni. The last thing you want while at uni is a money pit of a mini draining your bank dry - it won't make you happy! My mate had a similar situation...one of the rear wheels ended up falling off his Y reg 998. Not good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users