4 replies to this topic

#1 MiniAdam

MiniAdam

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hello people im new here as I have not owned a mini so far- I like the look of one on Ebay that has 1 months MOT left but the brakes dont work. It has new shoes, not that that means much, so the problem is likely to lie in the Master cylinder or slave cylinder id imagine- Does anyone know if this sounds about right. Id imagine its more likely to be the master cylinder as its unlikely all the brakes would fail within a year. Its a 1979 Mk3 with the center mounted speedo-Do you guys know how hard this part is to fit and where to purchase it from. Kind Regards, Adam

#2 MiniAdam

MiniAdam

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:43 PM

Sorry ive jsut realized im suppose to put technical bits in the technical section-ill put another post there.

#3 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:19 AM

can we abuse this thred then ! :fear:

#4 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:17 AM

Allo fella, don't buy it if you intend it to be your only car from the start. Get it, then fix up the problems in my opinion and you'll have a lot more enjoyment and satisfaction from it. Just make sure you have the time to do it.

You sound about right with the brakes. Master cylinders aren't that expensive, there are 4 types and you have to get the right one, or look on ebay to convert to the latest master cylinder with incorporated servo, those you can get for £20ish! Or it could be failed brake pipes/hoses which again isn't much,(Min Spares sells full copper brake pipe sets for £50ish. Just get yourself a Haynes manual, and the bigest investment would be a decent socket set, and be prepared to buy or scrounge other tools - pliers, cutters, mole grips the list goes on.

#5 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:38 PM

:angry: @ Tarks! I haven't seen that poster for ages! my cousin used to have it up in his room.... (6+ years ago) It's absolutely brilliant.... thanks for bringing back agood laugh :wink:

Al

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users