5 replies to this topic

#1 Tillio

Tillio

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

Hope someone can help! Sorry its my first post, but im going mad!

I've taken ownership of two minis in the last month, one is a little pea green '79, the other a flame red '90.

The '79 has the chassis number stamped in the rear tailgate closing lip, but the '90 does not.

Before i go too far with the '90 plate mini, i just wanted to find where the chassis number was located.... as i cant find it anywhere!

Although i have the V5 document on the way, it hasn't been on the road for a few years, And coupled with a few plans for the car, i dont want to do all the work, and end up with something un useable.

;)

Anyidea or guidance would be most appreciated

#2 mdickson

mdickson

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:24 PM

Hello,

The chasis plate is located in the engine bay. If you stand in front of the car with the bonnet open you should find it your left hand side riveted to the inner wing.
See the area circled.

Attached File  Engine_bay_chasis_number.jpg   117.52K   20 downloads

#3 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:27 PM

The 90 Flame Red should have the VIN number stamped into the rain channel at the rear of the bonnet. Just in front of the scuttle/front windscreen.

Don't be surprised if it's gone, as it's quite common for Minis to receive replacement scuttle panels (which incorporate the rain channel) as they rot out badly after a few years.

My 1990 Mini Cooper is on it's 2nd scuttle panel, but I've kept the remains of the old scuttle panel as it still has the number stamped into the rain channel.

Apart from that, your 1990 Flame Red should have a VIN number plate riveted to the left hand side inner wing of the engine bay. Right next to the washer bottle? That will carry the Vin number, plus the trim and paint codes too.

#4 Tillio

Tillio

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replys guys........ im guessing the state in which i recieved the project car, is why i cannot locate the vin number or a plate!

Posted Image

I was hoping i was being naieve and had just not spotted the number.....

#5 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

Yes, well I can see why you were having problems finding it now.

But does the VIN number you have on the V5 match up with the information on this page?: -

Click Me

You need to go by the 'Nov 1985 to Circa 1990?? – English Built' information on that page.

I'd imagine it should start like this: -

SAXXL2S1N20............

I'm not sure what the 9th position will be on your car (yours won't be 'N'), but as it's a limited edition that was based on the contemporary Mini City, I'd imagine it will be 'O'?

#6 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

At least once you do get the V5, it should be similar to that anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users