mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

hi all a quick one that a few of you may be able to answer

can i fit a maestro 1275 a+ in the mini and what mods do i need to make to the engine to fit

cheers

Andy

mate has a complete car for stripping

#2 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

No - wrong crank. Could probably be used if you fit a Mini crank - and take away the rear main bearing oil seal.

#3 cobblers

cobblers

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

I thought the Maestro A+ blocks were more like the RWD blocks, with different machining on the end, to take a full sump with no drop gear cover, setup to take a gearbox on the end??

#4 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

i think they had a volkswagon gearbox..

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:51 PM

The problem with the block in the non-transverse type A series blocks is the oil pickup connection. It is a threaded connection rather than the flat faced o-ring seal used in the Mini. And the crank is wrong as said above. I think it can be fitted with work though (the block, not the crank). I think Guessworks may have done this.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:53 AM

Yup, done a Maestro block based mini engine... Makes for a very nice installation, oil filter out of the way ( like the Mpi ) but still has the dizzy, the threaded hole on the oil pickup is not a problem, the O ring still seals, but it would not be a problem to get an insert machined with a hole through the middle. The other thing which needs to be modified is one of the main caps. I can't remember which one it is of the top of my head, but it's fairly obvious when compared to a transverse equivalent.. Other than that it's just a matter of replacing the crank with a std 1275 A+ crank, and bolting it together..

You may have a little fun getting an oil filter, but I can get them if you need.

Here's one built up ready to go... almost

Attached File  04052008071s.jpg   192.12K   54 downloads

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Alternatively, if you want to fit the complete maestro/montego unit into the mini, then that's a whole different ballgame...

It has been done, There's was an article in mini world a number of years ago, and I believe there is a thread on here somewhere ( was in either a pickup or a van )

The main problem is the engine needs to be installed backwards ( ie, carbs at the front, dizzy and plugs at the back ) because the gearbox is bolted on the side and therefore does not have the 'reverse of drive' which is achieved with the transfer gears and the 'under the engine' gearbox in the mini, the gearbox is directly connected ( through the clutch ) to the crank.

I'll have a search for the post..

Found it..

http://www.theminifo...x...&hl=maestro

It actually turned out it was not a complete maestro install, but similar to what I'd done above, converted the Maestro block and then he had mounted a 5 speed Mini gearbox onto the bottom, not used the Maestro gearbox.

Edited by GuessWorks.co.uk, 18 November 2009 - 08:11 AM.

#8 bmcecosse

bmcecosse

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts
  • Local Club: http://www.srps.org.uk/

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

Maestro 1275 engines are quite sought after -by Minor and Maestro owners! So don't rush into this without checking it's retail value. Mini 1275 engines are still easy enough to come by - without going through the hoops of this conversion!

#9 mini.cooper998

mini.cooper998

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

not free ones though :D

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:25 PM

Presumably if you were to use a full set of Mini steel mains caps they would fit. So there would be no need to modify one, although you would need to get the thing line bored obviously. What's so odd about the oil filter John? Does it have an anti drain valve because of the angle?

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

Nothing odd about it, it's a different size to the std mini and also the MPi, and because it's so long out of production, the likes of Halfrauds etc very rarely stock them, therefore need to be ordered..

The engine above I supplied with 5 spare filters so the owner didn't have to go searching for them when an oil change was required.

The modification to the cap is only small...

Plus, Meastro engines are failrly cheap, I pick them up every so often off ebay for pennies, think the last one I bought cost £10, and that was as out the car, gearbox, ignition modules, auto choke carb etc etc. dizzy is also the same type as the MK1 Metro Turbo.

Edited by GuessWorks.co.uk, 18 November 2009 - 05:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users