21 replies to this topic

#1 minimac

minimac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:38 PM

This question has probably been asked before, if so im sorry. if i bought a set of 7x13 revolite wheels for my standard mini city e 998 would it in any way slow it down or make the handling worse. Also what body modifications would i have to do and does it involve stiffened suspension.
Thanks for your help minimac

:worship:

#2 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:01 PM

changed to 13" wheels and regretted it mate. they look awesome but they pound your suspension components to a pulp, not to mention wheel bearings.

mine was an extreme case but i went down a hole in the road and come mot time it failed with a SNAPPED front subframe, i blame this on my 13"ers (might be wrong) but i felt like C**p when i had to spend £500 on a rover front subframe plus labour! back then i couldn't get hold of a genuine subframe from anywhere ( now they are ten a penny ;) ) :)

ps they don't noticably slow you down but they do naturally weigh more so i guess they do.

if you do go for 13"ers you'd be wise to uprate your front tie bars and fit some decent shockers with some hi los. (i did all this but my swivel pins still needed adjusting and replacing every time i hit a pot hole :sad: )

oh yeah and your arches will need cutting and rustproofing and new wider wheel arches will need to be fitted such as the common sportspack arches. looks amazing when finished but personally i'd stick with 12"ers and lower and stiffen the suspension with uprated tiebars, shocks and hi los.

have fun mate, thats what its all about :grin: :grin:

Edited by Nick The Greek, 13 October 2005 - 05:04 PM.

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:25 PM

Technically, increasing your unsprung mass (the wheels being a part of that weight) will have a detrimental effect on your handling, though this may not necessarily be noticable on a mini (depending on how it is driven obviously).

Increasing the rolling circumference of the wheel/tyre will slightly gear the car up (not sure though how much difference there is, not too much to be honest) but it can be compensated for with a different final drive ratio if necessary.

You will have to cut your arches as said above, you will put increased load on steering and suspension components, you will find it slightly harder to steer (more so at lower speeds), you will have to pay more for tyres when replacing them.

But, if it is the look you want to go for, do it!
Bear in mind all that has been said if you do want to go for it. (I did) :grin:

P.S. Minis really were designed for smaller wheels and the purists always say go for 10" wheels, but yours should be on 12"s as standard. Nice 5.5" x 12" wheels look good on a Mini, and you normally get away without having to trim the arches with this size wheel.

#4 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:39 PM

Nice 5.5" x 12" wheels look good on a Mini, and you normally get away without having to trim the arches with this size wheel.

I haven't found any 5.5"x12" which you can use without having to trim the arches. My 5"x12" revolutions needed me to trim the arches.

#5 minipickup144

minipickup144

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:40 PM

i put 13x7's on mine last year and had no problems yet (can still take off going over a local bridge) they do effect your steering as you get twitches and its hard to do small manovering but they look great.
the arches have to be cut and waxoiled and bigger arches fitted which must cover the tyre by law.
good luck
hers mine

Attached Files

#6 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:41 PM

Depends on the offset too though, I didn't have to on my old minilites, but I stand corrected.

On some 5.5" wide mini wheels, you won't have to trim the arches, on some you will. :grin:

#7 The Matt

The Matt

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

heres mine

NICE MINI ;)

not sure about the roof spoiler though? :)

#8 wobbit

wobbit

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

Nice 5.5" x 12" wheels look good on a Mini, and you normally get away without having to trim the arches with this size wheel.

i had to cut away about an inch at the front of my arches to fit 5.5" by 12"

#9 minimac

minimac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:20 PM

thanks for that. i think i will go for the 7x13s and run the risk of a big repair bill because they look so good. and i'll have to save a bit longer for the DTM exhaust. Thanks minimac

#10 wobbit

wobbit

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

go 4 it

#11 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

i'll have to save a bit longer for the DTM exhaust.

I have a playmini dtm backbox for sale if you're interested.

#12 minimac

minimac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:03 PM

na sorry mate it will be a while before my wallet recovers from the aches and the wheels. sorry about that. :angry:

#13 Puddings

Puddings

Nurburgring Master

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local Club: fabmoc/TMF

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

I have just picked up my wheels from carl austin (force racing) and they are very nice i say go for 10"

Attached Files

#14 Karl

Karl

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:24 AM

Having just fitted 13s I have to say, DON`T!!!

They look stunning, the car can corner MUCH quicker, but the driving pleasure has totally gone. The car is slower. The car tramlines for fun. It cost an arm and a leg to get them to fit properly. Needed new arches, HI-LOs, new shockers etc etc etc.
If you are after looks 1st, buy 13s. If you want looks/performance/driveability, then stay with 12s.

If you like ickle wheels, get 10s, but they cost an arm and a leg to fit aswell.

#15 Floyd

Floyd

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

I have just picked up my wheels from carl austin (force racing) and they are very nice i say go for 10"

:grin: Force Racing Split rims...

*Jelous* arnt they like 400 quid a wheel?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users